Status on yellow robot arms?

So we’ll need to add furry sleeves…

1 Like

It’ll pair nicely with a bear claw ‘tool.’ :smile:

2 Likes

Where are you going to setup a safety cage? Those could care less if your pumpkin head is in the way.

“All I know is he put 5v on TP1, now his head is over there…”

:robot:

5 Likes

LMAO, I’m not the only one that thought about Carol/Cheryl.LOL

2 Likes

If we were to sell one of them, what would be the price? I’d buy one if it’s around 1k (without the controller). Otherwise I’ll settle for gutting them and rebuilding them but that stand has got to go before i touch that thing.

The discussion also has been to give them to another non-profit. There was one with a robot program that @kobin knows of.

At least of this caliber. My next project will probably be machining and assembly of a 6-axis arm: https://www.anninrobotics.com/ Mostly because I need an excuse to better learn some machining skills, and robot arms are cool.

A little less scary, and more likely to knock itself over than take off someone’s limb.

3 Likes

Less scary is the right direction (at least at DMS).

We were going to sell or trade the arms + controller to the Bill J Priest Institute at Dallas County Community College, but the guys who ran the program moved on to a private company.
Similar models sell on eBay for $3k to $6k.

So to sum up, here’s our current plan:
-mount the RX60 to a suitable metal base (made by metal shop)
-get one STMBL drive working for one axis
-if that’s successful, get 5 more STMBL drives and run LinuxCNC or RoboDK software
-continue to work with @TBJK and the board to make a suitable, safe, and more permanent area
-eventually play chess:

4 Likes

Ok, that’s one of the arms. In that case, can I call dibs on rebuilding the other one with ethercat drivers?

Also if you’re going to be at the space any time this week, let me know.

I think before we spend another thin dime on these arms we should set a drop dead date for them. If X goal isn’t met by Y date then they are sold or scrapped.

3 Likes

Every dime spent so far has been out of my own pocket.

@Wid from what I understand the RX60L only needs one motor adjusted, no need for a rebuild.

1 Like

I don’t see the space in the machine shop area for one of these. In fact, we really need to get rid of a broken turret drill press that is taking up precious space. It bit of space needs to be available for aspirational goals such as a CNC lathe or a mini CNC 5 axis mill.

Regards,
Bob

Lucky for machine shop the RX60 is a 6 axis with a spherical work envelope, and the wrist is IP67 rated and thus suitable for CNC milling :slight_smile:

We have a tool changer that I’m attempting to trade for a water cooled milling attachment.

2 Likes

The yellow robot arm can hold and precisely position a power tool upon a work piece held in a vice to do six axis milling? Or is it reverse where the arm is precisely positioning the work piece under a fixed milling tool to effect 6 axis milling?

Wouldn’t the long arm pieces cause significant location error due to the magnification of tiny angle and long member flexing errors? Or is laser sighting used to be in effect like a DRO?

I am now wondering why the robot arm has been hanging around for years doing nothing if it had this magnificent potential. (asked as only a CNC dumb ass might)

Regards,
Bob

1 Like

The arm would position a power tool, and the work piece would be stationary.
According to the specs here:
https://www.eurobots.net/other-robots-robots-staubli-rx60l-control-cs7m-p107-en.html
The RX60 has a repeatability of 0.02mm and a max working load of 1.5 kg. So we could probably run a small spindle for milling, or maybe mill soft materials like plastic. I was thinking we could put something like this at the tip of the arm:
https://www.ebay.com/c/1073749404

2 Likes

That’s a problem.

@CalvinStence

How many tons can the HAAS handle?

1 Like

One and a half tons in Z three quarters in X & Y. Three quarters stock. .00025 mm accuracy.

3 Likes

Working load of 1.5kg is running full speed on the arms. It’s closer to 6kg if we run slower. Certainly no replacement for the full size HAAS.