Stained Glass Turtle Lamp

As I’m sitting at home day dreaming about all the projects I want to do when the space reopens, I came across this stained glass turtle lamp, and wanted to get some suggestions on how I could go about making one.
stained-glass-turtle-lamp-13
I’m mostly struggling with figuring out how to make the shell, I’ve made a couple of flat sun catchers, but this is my first time attempting to make a 3D stained glass piece. Any helpful tutorials or websites I can look at? Personal experiences anyone can share about making a bowl shape out of stained glass? Ideas for the feet and head, I was thinking possibly clay?

3 Likes

I’ve been using lead came instead of foil for my 3d stuff. Im still on the fence on if it makes it easier for 3d, I had to bend the backside of the came a lot, and in some cases clip it down a ton so the tight angles would work. But the shell there looks shallow enough that you wouldn’t have to do any trimming.

3 Likes

I have limited Stained Glass experience but I have seen these type items built over a form to support the glass until the soldiering is complete.

@rcktdr are you available for some pointers?

4 Likes

I’ve done it with plaster forms as the base. Tiffany method. There’s also the string method used for geometric forms but that would be extremely challenging for something like this.

1 Like

Yes the best way is over some sort of form, it can be made of anything firm enough to hold up the pieces. Styrofoam forms work well because you can pin the pieces in place as you go.

3 Likes

Yes…THAT! ^^^ Styrofoam forms FTW!

1 Like