Squirrels and Rats around the house

I had an odd dream last night where I had to apprehend and dispatch a large, curiously fearless rat with my hands (welding gloves were located for the task). I blame this thread.

Perhaps, but rodents have been gnawing on wire insulators since long before soy-based plastics became popular.

2 Likes

City rodents don’t tend to care. Studies show that in urban areas rats of a certain size show no fear of cats.

1 Like

That wouldn’t surprise me. I don’t really buy the whole “prey naturally fear predator’s scent” thing. It’s just another scent until they connect the dots, usually through learned behaviour, I would imagine.
But I’m certainly not going to argue animal psychology. Especially here. But I will be intrigued and entertained…
PS: I like the idea of peppermint oil a helluva lot more than predator pee, and expect it to work equally if not better. I might even try it…

Funny name. :rofl:

1 Like

While not a gallon, Larry bought coyote piss-in-a-bottle at the local feed store.

1 Like

Wildlife 911 put packets of pine-smelling stuff all over the garage and inside the car that they said rats hate. Knock on wood they won’t come back.

For squirrels, they make the area uninhabitable, and the squirrels “evict themselves.” I don’t know how they’d do it with a car, but the City of Dallas either forwards their animal control calls to Wildlife 911 or has them answering phones.

Good luck!

1 Like

And bobcat as well. Roach feed in Garland. and it works.

1 Like