Squirrels and Rats around the house

Anyone else having to deal with a rodent problem recently. We live in a neighborhood with a number of open fields around. I have a pecan tree in the side yard and I used to have bird feeders, both of which attract the critters. I’d love to feed birds in the back yard, but apparently rodents are fond of the food, too so I’ve discontinued feeding them. I’ve seen the squirrels and rats eating at the feeders even though I’ve literally tried everything to deter them. Spinning feeders, bell protectors below the feeders, lightweight perches, etc. Squirrels must have a school which teaches them to thwart these measures.

Anyway, recently I got a message from my pickup to refill the windshield washer fluid. I discovered upon doing so that the washer cap had been chewed through (about the size of a quarter) and the reservoir leaked.

I park my truck out front because I have two other vehicles in the garage. Apparently, a squirrel has made my engine compartment home because I also found half eaten pecans on the battery holder.

I’ve researched how to dissuade the little guys from living in my truck. The solutions range from poison, traps, noise (ultrasonic) makers, light (strobe) to electrocution.
I thought I’d ask DMS if anyone has had this same problem and what solution you utilized to deter them or eradicate them.

1 Like

I really like these for mice.

This is for a garden, but has some good ideas:

1 Like

I had a squirrel feast on my wiring harness once.

The shop recommended treating under the hood with defensive pepper spray. I have since found a spray at the yellow or blue big box store for that purpose.

I worked in an office next to a warehouse that had a big problem with mice. The janitor plugged in ultrasonic noise makers and we never saw another mouse again.

1 Like

https://www.chewy.com/wild-delight-sizzle-n-heat-bird-food/dp/162089?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Wild%20Delight&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpnM76Sl4QIVhP_jBx2VNgLSEAQYASABEgKw9vD_BwE

Birds eat this, but it sucks for squirrels and rats. It is a Pepper Based Bird Feed.

Goodnature Automatic Humane Non-Toxic Rat and Mouse Trap Kit Without Counter https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N2PFZ9H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pRpNCb8KR397H

Works for squirrels, you change the bait to peanut butter or nutella.

Get rid of the food or forever struggle with rodents outside. Inside you can control them effectively though trapping and sealing off their entry points.

2 Likes

There was no food involved when my wiring harness was destroyed.

They cannot all be killed, so give them a reason to pick a different target.

1 Like

If I dismember correctly from the thread regarding my rat problems @Josh_Bishop is something of an expert on this stuff.

Listen to/get his advice quick before he gets himself expunged from Talk! :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

Lol thanks, aparently there are some rats that give me trouble.

I worked for a pest control company, we offered lifetime warranties on keeping rats out of houses but outside there are no guarantees. Any time there’s an abundance of food from you or neighbors, you’ll have a much higher rodent population.

Outside, it’s the hardest/most impossible to control. I got lucky, I kept opening the hoods of my cars and finding droppings/urine. A cat has adopted my place that seems to have resolved them getting under the hood, she’s left many gifts at the back door. The rats aren’t gone, I’ve still seen and shot a few but she sleeps on the parts car and watches over the driveway.

1 Like

Oddly this popped up last night while watching Cody’s Lab.

Feeding Vultures With A Powerful Squirrel Trap (The Tube Trap …

But, no.

Honestly, the best way is to encourage crows to hang around and keep a cat. Since the crows moved in there’s been less of the more annoying creatures around and neighborhood cat that moved in took care of the rest. Also helps to only put out enough food for a day or so and refill bi-weekly or on a monthly basis that way the birds you do want come around but don’t depend solely on your feeder.

Depending on how new the car is, it may be using soy based oils in the plastic insulation, which then smells like food. The rate of wiring harness damage is way up since these eco friendly options started being used. You can even order capcasin laced tape to wrap your electrical harness in to try and dissuade the issue.

1 Like

I’ve noticed droppings myself in our “Daily Driver” I say that because I dont drive it every day, but my wife does

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3111820 found this oddly enough from a guy i watch monday mousetraps - it works remarkably well

sprinkling pepper in the engine bay has always worked for me.
just don’t add salt too, or it might attract a side of beef…

1 Like

This seems like an easy thing to try first. I’ll put out some good-ole cayenne and see.

It is a 2001, so that was probably before the soy insulation fad.

http://www.synlube.com/IncredibleEdibleCar1.htm

The damage was in 2007, but I am getting steamed just remembering it. Tomorrow, I am going to set out some poison and do my part in ridding my area of rodents.

1 Like

Poison outside won’t rid you of rats.

1 Like

Have you tried Peppermint oil? Rodents do not like the smell. Mix about table spoon in a quart of water and spray it in areas you want to keep the critters out of, like under your car hood. You can also put a few drops on a cotton balls and drop them in your garden to keep them out

1 Like

I wandered further down this trail than I intended.
This hackaday has some interesting comments which, if not useful, are at least entertaining, specifically that predator (coyote) urine will deter vermin, complete with suggestions about where to get (which I would have bet money were completely fake!):
https://www.acmemarkets.com/#1
(ok, I don’t think that one actually sells coyote urine, but they should probably consider it, right? But nobody does that, right?)

Well…

https://predatorpee.com/
This is surely a joke site, right?

but the 'zon?

I’m not sure how helpful that is, but it sure is amusing to think about people spreading predator pee around their yard. Of course, some comments also claim that doing so attracts said predators, so…

1 Like