Spring compressors

What kind of spring compressors do we have?
Maybe we can get something like this?

https://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/shop-equipment-c-327/automotive-c-327_328/strut-spring-compressors-c-327_328_256/redline-resc2-strut-and-spring-compressor-p-1593

Works for both Macpherson & more conventional coil over shocks springs.

The ones currently available at DMS look a lot like these:

Actually, we have two sets of these

imagehttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n1EAAOSwubRXGoT5/s-l300.jpg

In the red cases, much safer. Pick the size that fits your spring.

2 Likes

Good to knowā€¦the only one apparent when I was working on my front struts were the ones I mentioned, but thatā€™s my fault for not knowing where each and every item is in the 'Space.

Q: do you consider the others unsafe to the point they should be disposed of?

Not sure I have any science to backup my opinion on unsafeness, Iā€™m sure theyā€™re fine for minor compression, but i do not trust a single thin piece of all thread with my face :stuck_out_tongue:

Marshall, they are not very safe - they have a tendency to ā€œwalkā€ down the spring during use and that is NOT a safe thing to have happen.

toss them

2 Likes

Looking to do some spring work soon on my vehicle soon. Does anyone know if we still have this spring compressor and if itā€™s still operable/safe?

I found one red spring compressor kit but its missing the nut on the bottom of the tool to compress the spring. Where is the nut or where is the 2nd kit?

Extreme case is merited when dealing with compressed suspension springs. There is an awful lot of mechanical energy in a compressed suspension spring. Rapid unscheduled release of that energy is often fatal for bystanders, particularly when shrapnel is generated by the clamp or spring shattering.

The two-bolt hook type compressors are a hazard. Iā€™d vote for banning them. The common failure mode is for them to slip a bit and then slide around to the other side so both are on one side of the spring, all while failing mechanically and releasing the spring.

Even the C-clamp compressors have challenges. If you use one, use something to prevent the spring from bulging. I used a couple of turns of wide webbing to retain the spring in last time I used one.

Just because you are paranoid doesnā€™t mean they are not out to get youā€¦

2 Likes

This was of those spring compressors from several years ago - I put in the request to purchase that kit before I was chair of automotive. Yes there were two kits at one time-I know one was tossed due to missing parts. This type of spring compressor is the safest and easiest to use on the open market - when it is in good working condition. If in doubt do NOT use it.

(I base this on my 40 plus years of automotive repair experience).

If not used with impact tools they last far longer but this is the Makerspace (or Breaker-Space).

Better auto manufacturers make or specify their own ā€˜special toolsā€™ which are typically cost prohibitive and not the best choice for the majority of customers that make use of the automotive area at the DMS.

1 Like
1 Like

I donā€™t know if you are in a hurry, but time permitting (most likely NOT tomorrow) I could meet you at the makerspace with one or more of my spring compressors. I will be replacing dampers and transferring the springs to the new dampers on one of my cars and a DMS memberā€™s car as well(teaching him how to). This will be in about 2 weeks based on parts arrival.

Again, not sure if you can wait.

3 Likes

Is there any idea what brand/model this is? If itā€™s from a real company I can reach out and see if they sell the nut on its own. Of course if itā€™s an eBay special then all bets are off.

According to Lukeā€™s post from back when, itā€™s this brand
Sykes-Pickavant
A quick perusal of their website suggest it might be something like this
which does proffer up ā€œspare partsā€ tab

where a ā€œbrass nutā€, ā€œhex nutā€ and several other parts is includedā€¦

1 Like

If that repair kit is available somewhere we can put an order in to get the nice one back in working order. We also have a set of the Lisle death sticks (62300) which are a somewhat safer design then the traditional parts store ones.

Still be careful out there, think how much energy it take to bottom out your suspension and imagine all that energy being directed into your torso.

2 Likes

Can you ā€œspringā€ for the kit I posted above in the even parts are not available?

1 Like

Over $500 so weā€™d need a committee vote but Iā€™d be supportive. I can bring it up next meeting.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve emailed their sales desk to see what they say (given the order link didnā€™t work)ā€¦

2 Likes

when is your next meeting?

Response:
hex nut Code: 08400770 is in stock, Ā£23.95 plus Ā£8.95 carriage plus VAT
I suspect once they find weā€™re not on the Isle of Man, nor mainland Europe (nor GB/UK at all) that carriage rate may changeā€¦
Conversion on that is about $41.00 if my convertor site be believed.
Iā€™ve requested a credit-cardable quote with full shipping address, and will fwd along to @Bizwacky.

1 Like