Spoilboards are completely trashed (again)

I came in tonight to find 5 of the 6 spoilboard zones badly damaged. How does this happen? In any case, I’ll try to make some repairs, but I won’t have time to do them all.

3 Likes

Thanks for fixing them. About two weeks ago I filled some of the cuts with putty and re-milled them.

1 Like

Bummer. Just Tuesday night they were in good shape. And had been for a few weeks.

1 Like

Having never done this repair before, I decided last night to wait until someone familiar with doing it had a chance to look at it. When I say “badly damaged”, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen. I’m not entirely sure if the “putty fix” is even appropriate. I’ll be up there this evening to run a small job, but if anyone with experience doing this repair has a chance to look at it beforehand, I’d appreciate your input. I’m happy to help with the repair, but I don’t want to make it worse.

Sounds like there needs to be a camera aimed at the Multicam if this doesn’t stop happening. If someone wants to get with me in a PM I most likely have a camera that will work in the space that I’m happy to donate if the system has the inputs to accept it. Maybe people will be less likely to trash the thing if they know they are being watched.

I personally haven’t been trained on it yet (on my to-do list) but I hate people who abuse tools and ruin it for everyone else. If you don’t leave the tool in the best possible shape / level of cleanliness you can when you’re done with it… You’re doing it wrong.

Thankfully we have one. Footage just needs to be reviewed

Yeah this is absolutely unacceptable. Those spoilboards were milled flat enough that they wouldn’t be more than lightly kissed by a bit if max depth was set correctly.

We need to start revoking Multicam privileges until people retake the currently unavailable class.

It happens because people don’t set max depth. The easiest way to fail the checkride and posted right in front of their face on the Z axis.

1 Like

Sounds like a power that should be given to the new Multicam owners

1 Like

It’s a pet peeve of mine, so much so that I almost always bring my own MDF in so I can gouge it all I want (you do get a better bottom edge if you cut into your spoilboard).

2 Likes

Can you catch some pictures?

I am not a frequent multicam user, however I’m checked out on it. I think we should make it standard operating procedure for people to bring their own spoilboard. I can’t imagine most people needing the full z axis available to them.

Cut your own spoilboard, great you’re the one paying for it when it’s unusable. You don’t cut your spoilboard, you get to use it longer.

This would keep the forgot to set max depth, bit slipping out, and most of the other common problems from affecting the other multicam users.

This would be a decision of the new owners/maintenance/chair, but I think there would be support for making it a rule.

1 Like

I’ve long supported this idea. I get that spoilboards are meant to be sacrificial but in a shared environment it’s clear it doesn’t work.

I keep several 2x4’ pieces of MDF in my trunk for this purpose. I can surface them and they last a while.

Is the current damage to the wasteboard visible on the security footage?

1 Like

Roughly what time?

1 Like

As I understand the rules, Chairs are the only people who can dole out temporary bans on their assigned areas. Further, the only ones who can give out permanent bans from specific areas or the whole space is the board.

In keeping with that… let’s say that the Owners can set rules and refer violations of rules to me.

I will work with owners to make sure that violators understand what went wrong. We probably need something like a 3-strike system but I need to give that way more thought before committing to it.

All that said, just a reminder that all of the woodshop is a “Stop Work” environment. This means any member can, and should, stop any other member at any time if they believe a tool is being used incorrectly, unsafely, or dangerously.

8 Likes

On my way there now.

1 Like

Oh I’ll e-stop the Multicam or a laser if it’s being run improperly.

Haha, we wouldn’t have it any other way. I don’t want to be the bad guy. That’s what you get paid the big bucks to do :wink:

2 Likes

I might have to ask for a raise here soon.

1 Like

Percentage is not your friend. Probably be very easy to get your pay doubled or even tripled … so you might want to pursue an addition instead!

4 Likes