(split) Silver Antimicrobial Properties

In general, don’t pour anything into a storm drain. It will end up in your local lakes and rivers. This includes anything left out in the street or parking lots.

The sewage system in most cities and municipalities is a closed system, which is run by licensed water operators. It is their job to neutralize their effluents, and ground any metals or toxins which they contain. There are things which water operators like: neutral solutions, base solutions (drain cleaners), colonizing bacteria and their food stuffs. There are things they don’t like: acids, pharmaceuticals (antibiotics go a long way in killing off friendly bacteria), bright metals (Silver was one of the 1st antibiotics), pesticides, petroleum products. None of these should go into the sewer system.

And it’s still used today.

Wound vac sponge was coated with silver. One of the contributors of why my wife’s leg wound healed.

2 Likes

Mom had the same thing recently removed after her top stitch was infected after her triple bypass.

I use silver in my server and work station liquid cooling loops to prevent algae and other growths (the water based ones at least).

1 Like

When I got burned they put a cream on it that contains silver. It sure was expensive though :rofl:

1 Like

Do you remember the name of it? We use silver sulfadiazine pretty regularly for burns. It’s not expensive in vet med but we don’t have the 5,000% markup human med does.

2 Likes

That’s it, though it was the “brand name” version called Silvadene. Part of why it was expensive was that this was in the ER, so they opened an entire jar, used a bit, and then billed for the whole jar. Although I only paid a fairly small amount, I just remember seeing the “before insurance” (read: fake) pricing being really high.

Crazy. A 25 gram jar costs me $6, a 50 g jar also costs $6, 85 g jar costs $13, and a 400 g jar costs $25. It’s wild how much insurance has fucked healthcare.

2 Likes

I think it was a 50g jar and my “discounted” price was nearly $50.

1 Like

Andrew, you know one of the rules at DMS is to NOT set yourself on fire, right?
:fire:

Seriously though, I hope you came through it ok.

1 Like

You can just barely see one of the scars, the others all healed up so well they disappeared.

1 Like