Speeds and power for 3/4 MDF

Hello All!

I’ve got some MDF projects I’m working on. I was wondering if anyone had some specific insight on the speed and power for a 3/4 inch mdf board on the laser cutter? Just cutting specifically. No scanning needed.

Thanks!

Paging @Team_Laser

I don’t think you’re going to have much success trying to cut 3/4” material on the lasers, at least not without the 4” long-throw Head (not sure what its proper name is) and even then it’s iffy at best.

That said, here is a list of parameters for the Thunders:

I’m not certain what you’re trying to do, but if any curves, holes, etc. are less than or equal to 1/16” radius and you don’t have/need square inside corners, you’ll have much better luck using the Multicam on that material. If you need help with this, I’ll be happy to assist.

1 Like

Our lasers wont be powerful enough to cut 3/4" MDF, sorry!

Lasers are appropriate for thinner wood like 1/8 and 1/4 inch. The CNC router is what you want for thicker wood like 3/4 inch.

1 Like

It might be possible with multiple passes, but tolerances are going to be garbage and yield probably not so great either.

Arcade Cabinets,

I made my first one by hand measurements, but I need to make 3 more and am wondering if automation can help clean up / quicken the process.

I have an .AI file I’m working with if that helps. I don’t have training on the CNC machine so if someone is will to help guid me that would be awesome!

2 Likes

Definitely sounds like a job for the CNC.

The laser has enough power, but not an appropriate lens.
It can be done with multiple passes AND raising the bed with each pass. But since the lens is nearly on the surface for it’s focal length, you’d hit the surface of the material with the laser head before cutting thru.

I’m not sure what the focal length is on our lasers, but on mine I have a 2" focal length lens and have plenty of room for raising the bed, and in 19 years I’ve never had the need for air assist despite large flame outs on plastics. DMS should consider going to a larger focal length lens. They’ll last longer.

1 Like

I’ll be happy to help (gratis, of course). I’ll PM you.

1 Like

If you’re crunched for time and can’t get help on the CNC in time… You can design and cut templates out of 1/4 or 1/8 masonite or MDF on the lasers. Then you can use a handheld router with a pattern bit to cut your parts out of 3/4 MDF.

It’s “CNC for folks who only have a laser cutter” :smiley:

2 Likes

THIS IS BRILLIANT. I WANT TO EXPLORE THIS.