"Specifically not Fluffers" group (subset of PR) party committee discussion

@Adam_Oas @Team_PR

So this is coming out of left field and it’s just something that has been popping around in my brain. It’s been hard on me to pull back from DMS (seriously @missydee1206 and @mreynolds can both attest to my retiree grumblings) I want to jump back in into something but I’m not sure what I could do.
This is my idea (to be discussed) I would like to look at the opportunity to begin a “specifically not fluffers” group. A group that plans parties and some of the lighter more DMS community building things.

Responsibilities:
pot lucks
Possibly monthly/quarterly “I’m new” luncheons to meet the heads of the departments and q&A (possibly linked to the pot lucks)
yearly Picnic planning
Cotton candy spinning
Eventually my DMS Detroit Soup dinner idea (I’m never going to give up on this)
Maker Trade Days

Discuss:

8 Likes

Definitely not using the term fluffers for this group. That’s reserved for
another very different kind of job…

9 Likes

yeah, that thought went thru my brain as well. Where have I been hanging out? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Add Maker Trade Days to the list.

2 Likes

Don’t worry - we will for sure make a shirt for you too.

PS I know what a fluffer is - my grandmother told me. Just kidding, my grandmother is dead.

7 Likes

That’s funny.
I was thinking the name was apropos in every possible way…
:confused:
Great idea, by the way.
Knowing me, nothing I can do to be helpful, but if I find no other way, I’ll pitch this in: :+1:
(giggity)

3 Likes

It’s someone who fluffs the pillows at a furniture store, right?That way they all look good when customers come in to peruse the merchandise.

Thank you @uglyknees I needed that laugh this week.

1 Like

I think if anyone is suited for this job it’s you.

6 Likes

Yes, Thanks so much for that Nicole!

1 Like

Yeoouch! Wow, what a burn.

PS - My other nickname is Ron Hightower

2 Likes

New Member Meet-and-Greet Q&A Sessions
Later and Turned into an all member Pot Luck

The Skinny:
New members will be invited to a monthly 45m-1h talk and meet and greet lead by a volunteer detailing several different aspects of DMS that would help new members understand the process of DMS and what responsibilities and allowances come with membership. Potentially it would be nice to incentivize attendance for new members and committee chairs by providing vittles aka dinner. I would suggest having this bi-monthly to begin with to see if it’s successful. After the meeting we would quickly transform the room into a DMS Pot Luck event for all members and to eat up the rest of the deliciousness known as Babes.
Responsibilities:
Safety
Classes
Tool care
Cleanup
Departments/Management Structure
How to….
Allowances/opportunities:
24/7access
Use of tools
What expanding capabilities looks like in a collaborative community
Your leadership
Your education and how it can benefit the space

The Why:
Bonding all over the damn place. Up the wall and over peoples heads. I would hope committee chairs could attend so they could be at the core of Q&A and put some faces to the plate. This could be a wonderful time to allow volunteer opportunities to be talked about for members.

Proposed Incentives for Attendance:
DMS t-shirt (printfly.com cost $6)
DMS sticker (Made here)
DMS new member handbooks (do we still do them)
Babes Catering Dinner (holla) $375 for 25 people = $15 per person

Proposed Dates (That I Personally Have Open):
December 9th

Things to go “hey nelly hold your horses”
Is it a good thing to spend DMS money on food
Will this increase buy-in from new members
Whats the intended outcome
Who does the talking and how is it formatted to be effective
What’s the time limit on people attending
Do we cap it?
Why didn’t I get a t-shirt when joining
45 minutes…you gotta be kidding me this is like a 3 hour mini-conference woman…ya it probably should be to be honest.

2 Likes

I’m thinking dinner is Too Much. Some heavy-duty snacks might be good, and not cost $15/head.
Giving away T-shirts?? Yeah – it’s a nice incentive. All of us who didn’t get one are raising an eyebrow at you. And I’m not sure retrofitting the rest of us with a free T-shirt is precisely affordable.
Sticker and DMS handbook – absolutely. I’m not sure who besides Alex knows how to print them.
45 minutes should be do-able. Do an outline and work specifically from it. Q&A will draw it out more, but folks don’t have to stick around.

I’d really see this as more about educating folks to our culture and expectations of members. If they know what to expect, they’re less likely to get snitty about stuff. And maybe, just maybe, they’ll be better members.

If it was just about creating stronger buy-in, I’d say skip it. I mean – we don’t really need as many new members as we’re getting… :slight_smile:

I think it’s a great idea. Meet and greets can get new members involved in other things while they are waiting to take required safety classes…decrease any dissatisfaction from not immediately getting in the training class… in the meantime, they might…

• discover other (more accessible) interests to learn
  • discover they have topics they’d like to teach
  • hang out in the common room with Stan and David
  • overhear others talk about their geeky interests
  • BOND with other members over mutual interests
  • better understand the do-ocracy culture here
  • realize that, despite the rumors, we really don’t traffic in “fluffers” here (at least, not to my knowledge; I haven’t heard any gossip…)

Hey, how do I get a DMS T-shirt??? :smiley:

2 Likes

I missed the BoD meeting last night. So, will @uglyknees be starting the Not Fluffers Committee?

I’ll give you the unofficial version and then when the minutes come out you can read the official version.

The motion as written was passed, however with the modification that the Board didn’t think Nicole asked for enough money. They stipulated that the monthly funding should be $150 per month. It sounded like Finance has the discretion to pay it to PR as either monthly stipends or one annual stipend (but the audio was poor).

1 Like

Awesome, thank you. I had intended to read the minutes when they became available for a number of reasons, but this was one of them.

Thanks!

Ya. Crazy. I’m a bit speechless about the money and honored to feel trusted like that.

Now I need to sit down and see who wants to be in the dance crew. I do want to say that this will be a bit of an experiment to begin and we might make some strange choices but in all honestly I think it’s going to be useful and a fun thing to be involved in. Thank you to the board for seeing the need for this.

8 Likes