Spanish Classes

I am new to DMS space and eager to learn, but also to teach. My most genuine expertise is in language, namely Spanish.

I would be interested in organizing a class if this is something DMS members would be interested in.

Any feedback?

6 Likes

bring tacos ? everyone likes tacos!!

2 Likes

I know at one point in time someone was teaching sign language classes; it was my understanding they were very successful

2 Likes

I took Spanish in college but don’t remember it. I’d love to learn.

I’d be interested, and my non-makery husband said he’d be (and maybe this can be a DMS gateway drug for him…get a little too close to the Making Vortex and be assimilated…muahaha)

3 Likes

I could teach you how to order the best tacos.

2 Likes

That would be a great class: How to order tacos in Spanish without embarrassing yourself.

Success is subjective. The class went though things so fast that there wasn’t enough reinforcement to retain, Kimbers and I basically only where able to take away from the class our “abc’s”.

It would have to be a class series. Something like twice a week with practice exercises or something. I started with Rosetta Stone but it would be nice to have someone to talk with and learn more.

1 Like

have someone to talk with and learn more

That’s what I feel we do need more of with our classes. Sure the initial class is great and personally I’ve been using udemy for relearning español (took Latin in highschool).

If there was a spanish class then I’d be glad to attend with the caveat that there’s effort to reinforce the learning.

Good feedback.

I was an ESOL professor and the head of the Language department at universities in Mexico for 7 years. I learned Spanish at age eighteen and now speak on a near native level.

Reinforcing the basics and practice is the most useful thing we can do.

I will look into planning it.

4 Likes

I live in a heavy Hispanic area, I would like to be able to take advantage of the nice Hispanic meat market
near me, Prices seem to be better and quality as good I have heard, but I need a little Spanish to get what I want

1 Like

The most useful Spanish I have learned is Donde es el bano?

Next is Quero as I point to a menu or an item on a shelf.

And the numbers, uno, dos, tres, etc

If the class goes into verb conjugation or masculine versus feminine, it gets tedious very quickly. Concentrate on commonly used words and phrases for a beginner.

Oh, and unless the BOD changes the rules, do not expect to be paid honorarium for this class.

2 Likes

Obviously learning latin helps but the nuance between classical latin and modern vulgar latin escapes me save for a little annunciations within dialects. But hey at lease I can understand on a rudimentary level for about 1.3B people in the world.

No payment expected, just want to share knowledge the way others are.

A language is a skill that can be used for creative and practical things, just like the other fields we can study and practice at DMS. I can help anyone who is interested to develop and refine that ability.

6 Likes

Yes! We would be interested.