Source vs Wiki content and links

As @TJSmith correctly points out in the referenced topic, the wiki is deprecated and stale.

The problem is that while the Source is supposedly current, the wiki is still the only place a lot of information resides. I’d go so far as to say the vast majority of information for that matter. Worse, a lot of the information on the wiki is so dated as to be just plain wrong.

I don’t know how to accomplish this, but I’d sure like to see:

• the ‘deprecated’ wiki pages hold a link to the source page
  • eventually the wiki page have only a link to the source page once that information is actually present on the source.
  • see a bulk move of wiki data to the Source, to include even the outdated information with some sort of practical incentive for the committees/sig to update the source. Maybe a small bug bounty of brownie points for anyone who points out the error and drafts a correction?

There are a raft of historical talk topics that point only at the wiki. This is also true of many new ones.

2 Likes

Another issue is that (AFAIK) Source is only available to members who are logged in. That eliminates the public usefulness of all of our information. I’m most concerned that our tools listing will essentially be inside the firewall and prospective members will no longer be able to see if we have capabilities that interest them.

3 Likes

There are various levels of authorization, including public. Since I am still learning, I’m not sure if is branch level or just page level. I tend to leave things behind the wall until it is time to publish them.

1 Like

Wow … This is absolutely not the goal… you should not have to be logged in to see Source.
There are a few pages which require login, but it’s only about 5%.

To back that up with stats, we have had about 8k page views by anonymous users in recent time. (approximately since Burt took over as Woodshop chair.)

Burt has been the 2nd highest viewer as he works hard to push Woodshop organization up to the Source.

Rounding out the top 5 are Jay (Infra), Mark (CA), and myself.

Now… if you see something on source that you don’t expect, feel free to let me know and I’ll work on it.
(It helps to have full http paths and screen shots)

Thanks,
Jack

3 Likes

Good news!
Half of your ask already exists… starting with the part that hasn’t happened:

see a bulk move of wiki data to the Source

This is not complete and is sometimes debated. Currently plan is to encourage committees to update pages on Source and forward reference from Wiki to Source while keeping the Wiki has historical record.

I don’t know how to accomplish this, but I’d sure like to see:
the ‘deprecated’ wiki pages hold a link to the source page

This part is already available for any page that wants to take advantage of it. It’s largely driven by the committees, but I’m available to chairs and volunteers that want to help migrate pages. (Migration itself is very easy, almost a simple cut-n-paste operation)

Example from Laser:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Laser

As you can see, there’s a nice forward link over to the source page.
Cheers,
Jack

3 Likes

One oddity, on an iPad, while not logged in, following a link to source.dallasmakerspace.org goes to a mobile version that appears to be empty except for a statement of intent. Following the link to switch to the desktop version makes a bunch more content show up.

If have the chance, can you try this QR Code with your device? We are considering using these to jump to machine specific information via the QR Codes. This is just a conceptual test. Let me know if you can read the information. Thanks

leads to Source Woodshop rules page through the login page, so not public.

If I bring that up on my phone, and point my iPad at it, and select to follow link, chrome comes up to the login page for confluence.

I think the login is persistent. It uses the same DMS credentials as the PCs around campus.

Are the rules intended to be public or private? Do you want some portion of the members to just not want to deal with the login on the device with them, that they might not routinely use for DMS purposes, and go on with whatever they felt like doing, or give them the fewest roadblocks to finding the rules?

Actually they should be public, but I am still working through everything. @TJSmith has taken on a huge project driving this forward. I am hoping to flesh out a structure that other committees can follow without having the same time investment. I am just resolving issues that are blockers at this point. It will all get sorted out. The Woodshop section is not ready for public use at this point. Too many structural changes are still being made.

2 Likes

I attempted to remedy that by disabling the mobile website entirely. (Justin inferred that Confluence has sort of neglected the functionality.)

2 Likes

This QR code should work better now… direct to the rules page w/o login page first.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Jack

1 Like

This QR code now goes directly to woodshop rules.

1 Like

That appears to behave much better now.

What topic would I search for to enable this in other areas.

This should be enabled everywhere now… I did a review of all the spaces.
It was a “Space Permissions” area issue. Images below:

Then grand the View to All … and deny the rest

Also I added a banner to help people find the login … you’ll get a pink’ish banner that you aren’t logged in with a helpful link to log in.

if you are logged in, it will let you know Elections are coming

1 Like

Thanks for fighting this beast