Source for Sunbrella or other brand outdoor canvas

I have an old custom-made cover for a 17.5 foot outboard boat. It needs to be restitched and in doing so, add some reinforcement where the material has pulled away from the stitching and a couple of worn areas.

I am looking for some cutoff pieces/a small piece of Sunbrella or similar outdoor, UV resistant canvas. The color does not need to match.

Does anyone know of a local source for either cutoff pieces (for free or cheap) or a small amount of material (less than a yard). The JoAnn’s I called didn’t have any in stock. Sunbrella listed a canvas shop in Denton as a “local” source, but I thought I should ask the experts first.

Jeff

1 Like

I have a box of Sunforger mold/mildew resistant (NOT the fire retardant variant) canvas pieces, natural color that I would be happy to let you dig thru and take what you need.

I can’t remember whether or not there are any full width scraps/yardage in there, but there were definitely some sizable chunks.

I can look this evening when I get home.

6 Likes

Jessie,

Yes thanks, I so appreciate your offer and think Sunforger material would work just fine. I need several small pieces (6 inch by 6 inch might be overkill) and one long piece to patch the area in the attached pic. It is conceivable to me that we could stitch together pieces to get a piece long enough, if necessary.

Jeff

I’ve definitely got you covered, then. I’m pretty sure I’ve got some pieces that were 10" x 10 feet or so, for your long patch.

I can meet up at the Makerspace pretty much any evening, or on a lunch break. Just let me know what works for you!

Sailrite.com

Maybe call and ask for scraps?

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Fabric_c_1.html
This is one of the best places to purchase that kind of fabric.

Hmm. Northeast Indiana. They possibly get rid of their scraps locally (to Indiana, that is).

Jessie,

Thanks, I’ll PM you whenever I get my act together. In the meantime, let me know anytime you have plans to be at DMS or a day/time that is most convenient to you and I’ll make time to meet you.

Jeff

I have one more related question for the Sewing SIG. I will need some UV resistant thread for my repair. Does anyone have a partial spool? I sourced some from Sailrite, which they recommend for this type application: UV resistant polyester thread (V-92, white, UV poly, 4 oz, 1350 yds for $14.95).

Jeff