Source for masking tape like in laser area

Could anyone point me where I get some of the same masking tape that #laser has? I’d like to an 6 or 8 wide version for prepping laser cutting projects at home.

I’d say that we should ask @Team_Laser, as I bet somebody there orders the dang stuff. I am assuming that it’s not just the good blue masking tape?

The Laser wiki page has links to our consumable sources, including the masking paper.

1 Like

Locally GSG carries it. Depending on your application, I would ask them for a higher tack version, even though what we get is supposedly high tack.

Ours tends to release at the edges, esp with the assisted air blowing on it. Blue tape adheres better, but came melt into acrylic.

Is there a difference between this and the “release paper” stuff sometimes used for vinyl?

I believe they’re the same thing.

Johnson’s Plastic has some JP tape

There are two types for vinyl. Paper and clear Vinyl.

Laser uses the paper based type. Vinyl bad on laser

For vinyl cutter, the clear vinyl without grid lines is my preference.

Interesting. This is listed as low tack.

Have you tried it Nick? If so, what is your experience with it?

Has anyone tried painting with this? I’m curious how badly it bleeds under.

I don’t really use the masking type. When I did get some, it was from laserbits who was bought out by Johnson plastics. The stuff I had had a little more tack than what the laser committee is using now.

-Nick

talkers

November 29

nicksilva:
Johnson’s Plastic has some JP tape

Interesting. This is listed as low tack.

Have you tried it Nick? If so, what is your experience with it?

Where in the committee area could I find the laser masking paper/tape? I wanted to use a little yesterday but couldn’t find any.

Ohhhh… You just reminded me we needed to buy some. Sorry!

I’ll do a consumables purchase tonight.

2 Likes

The masking tape is replaced. It was procured from… The box under the table. Horray for surprise masking tape.

4 Likes

Thank you! Used some this morning.