Sooey....Sooey....Sooey..Calling all PIGs

I am still kind of new… what in particular does Plastics Interest Group do?

Since it’s brand new, it hasn’t really defined itself well. It’s intended to provide capabilities to cut, mold, form, and/or machine various plastics (and possibly TBD composites). Plastic has always been somewhat of a step-child; not having dedicated capabilities like wood or metal.

It will become more or less whatever the Interest Group members want it to be.

I’m glad you asked. As Chris pointed out, it’s still in its infancy. The whole purpose to make this post was to get people involved & curious.

1 Like

I find the shapeoko XXL would be very useful for a lot of us. Any meeting to plan stuff coming up?

Wooooi pig soooie, razorbacks!!! #alum #UofA

1 Like

Im interested ! :grinning:

1 Like

Based on how much plastics work I do I think I am required to be involved :smiley:

1 Like

I am interested.

I’m interested - how can i help

Alright ladies & gents. This weekend we are going to have a combined Machine Shop & PIG sig meeting. I would love for those who are interested in PIG sig be there & or have input.

What we need? We need someone who is willing to step up & become the Chief Oink. Someone who will grab the PIG by the ears.

We need to define what our goals are for the SIG. What classes should & could be taught in the subject matter.

We need to define & setup layout of how the sig will be. Who is willing to teach classes? You dont have to be an expert at any of the subject matter.

5 Likes

AKA Boss Hog …

:pig:

EDIT: I can’t take the credit for this idea. I’ll let the originator step forward and take credit … he knows who he is!

4 Likes

Don’t forget a google meet link, please.

Unfortunately Saturday evening is Passover, I’ll be elsewhere - that also starts at 5PM.

3 Likes

whatever happened to the project

Calling all PIG’s(Plastic Interest Group)… Join us this Saturday at the committee meeting to discuss items for plastics & where you want to see plastics go.

I work all weekend, I’d love to see a summary later. Personally I’d love to see plastics become the place where people go to make simple shapes instead of trying to 3d print what amounts to a square basically.

Raspberry pi cases for example, which could easily be cut and heat formed in moments in PIG take like 10+ hours on a 3d print.

I’d also love to see a donation bin /shelf. Like type 5 plastics from discarded plastic furniture / bins / shelving is to my experience more than good enough quality to do standard projects. It seems silly to bring in fresh sheets of type 5 when there’s enough in dumpsters to fabricate an entire shed or whatever.

A good intro class would be to make a cutting board entirely from recycled plastic. Just heat press and introduce whatever features desired.

5 Likes

@brenly :: I’ll set up a camera and record the meeting, if that would be useful to you.

I love this idea!

thats overkill but thank you. i’ll just read the notes that go into the wiki later.

This Saturday is Machine Shop/ PIG sigs meeting. Join us if you care about plastics & composites.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16495

3 Likes