Something for the shopping list

Can we get/make some kind of dedicated sharps disposal box(es) or blade bank things for CA? …for all the exacto and cutting blades as well as bent and broken sewing pins and needles, etc so they aren’t just getting pitched in the trash. I’m not requesting the dedicated bio-hazard type boxes per se due to cost, but just something dedicated and marked for that purpose. Maybe magnet the containers inside a door on the sewing, fiber and leather cabinets specifically or else have a way to mount them by the trash cans so they can be dumped safely for disposal. Just spit-balling ideas… I use a big 3.4 oz Tic Tac container at home with a an old rotary blade case glued to it…whole thing is stuck to my bench rail with a magnet. Before that was an Altoid tin glued shut with slit in the long side, but several rotary blades pretty much filled it up.

There are a couple of them we could 3d print on Thingiverse, just need to make sure the slot will accommodate rotary blades, too. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:72966

3 Likes

Would just a cardboard box with a label not suffice? Or a tupperware container?

1 Like

What about those tiny box thingies that were accidentally ordered?

Those boxes that were ordered were divided. Might be good for storing the dies for the hand press when we get them, though.

Would an empty one of these work…

They are thick walled HDPE with a pop on/off lid. The outer sleeve with the writing is easily removed.

2 Likes

@bitta, have you found a solution?

If not, I am one sheet of Baltic birch away from something I think will work well.

Not really…had some disposable type containers dropped off that I think were for this purpose, but they were pretty big…thought I could use them for CA in general. …but was hoping for something I could magnet to the door of the leather cabinet, so it’s right there when we’re changing blades and them dump them in the big container when it got full. Just needs to be wide enough to take the rotary blades and maybe twice as tall as that and an inch or two deep. But I’m not really that picky about it…I’d be grateful for whatever you have in mind! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@bitta ~ These would probably be perfect:
https://www.dollartree.com/Sure-Fresh-Mini-Storage-Containers-with-Lids-10-ct-Packs/p352176/index.pro

@bitta ~ here’s a pic of one of those mini containers from Dollar Tree - to give you an idea of what size they are:

:smiley:

1 Like

Allo, 'allo, zis is Night’awk, @bitta are you receiving me?

(Well, not Night’awk but, for some strange reason, that show popped into my head when I started this post.)

I have a Sharps Claw ready for your inspection. When would you like to meet? (Afternoons or evenings are a good choice for me.)

We might can get the people who do the first aid kits to put a few in if they have them. Might not cost us anything

I’ll be up there Sunday for the Leather SIG at 3 if you’ll be around then.

1 Like

Would this work?

Excellent! I suspect you will be surprised, possibly amused, and probably disappointed. But, I am prepared to make a revision 2.

Sharps container in CA

1 Like