Some issues with the Sherline lathe

I went in on Saturday to use the Sherline lathe, and while I finished my project, I was running into some issues:

• The steady rest, and follower rest are both missing their clamps. These need replaced.
  • There are no cutoff tools in the drawer for the Sherline lathe.
  • A live center for the drill chucks would add a lot of utility.
  • The DRO for the long axis (Z I believe?) is non-functional.

Essentially I was working on a long piece, but had to make very shallow passes to keep from knocking it out of the chuck. Presented with the limited parts, I had to modify my design to keep it workable. I also found myself really wishing we had the compound slide attachment.

Most of what you would do with the compound slide can be accomplished by indexing the headstock/spindle.

Please help educate me. How is a live center used in combination with a drill chuck? If the drill chuck just spins on the live center, how does it drill?

EDIT:

Are you talking about these?

Steady rest “clamp” (dovetail block)

Follower rest hold down tab

It’s odd that those would go walkabout because they’re not normally removed.

Please help educate me. How is a live center used in combination with a drill chuck? If the drill chuck just spins on the live center, how does it drill?

Helps hold long parts. Essentially using it as a live center instead of a drill. It’s a part sherline sells.

And yes those are the two parts that are missing.

1 Like

I seem to remember us having a live center already to mount in the tailstock. Its kinda odd that, that stuff is missing/misplaced. I do remember seeing a issue with the Sherline DRO, just haven’t had time to look into it myself. I repaired on portion of the DRO already.

When DMS ordered the DRO kits we bought 3 of them but only installed 2 of them. So there must be a 3rd DRO still in a box somewhere. Suggest you check the Teacher’s cabinet.

2 Likes

That’s correct Rich.

I looked around, found the follower rest items, Also the steady rest, however the threads are stripped on it. It needs to be taken up 1 size in the thread department. The live center was in the tailstock. I re-seated the DRO & it appears to be working now.

I will get some cutoff blades ordered, I thought we had quite a few of those. Those seemed to have dwindled.

5 Likes

It should currently be 10-32.

Yep & after measuring the part, I don’t think we can successfully make it a 1/4-20 threads without compromising it. I’m going to order a replacement.

3 Likes

Agreed. there should be a spare set.

We received the new parting blades, steady rest. They will be in the drawer.

3 Likes