SolidWorks Users - Geomagic

Calling all SolidWorks Users.

Does anyone have any experience with the plugin Geomagic for SolidWorks, or any of the Geomagic products?

A contact at SolidWorks said the best way to deal with large .STL files (from 3D scans), edit and clean them up, and get them into SolidWorks is GeoMagic.

Geomagic is by 3DSystems/ Oqton.

Looking for assessments, lessons learned, contacts, advice, etc.

Thanks

Max

1 Like
  1. Have you been able to get the Revopoint data into other 3d software, like Blender?
    1a. Can you get a mesh from the points? What’s the quality of the mesh?
  2. What are you trying to make? What is the goal or end result for your project?

I saw the thread you made earlier, and I did not reply to it because it was about an interesting topic but very vague. It’s like looking into a crystal ball. It’s too easy to project particular details from my own project, which is not helpful to you. My goals are probably different than yours.

In general, the algorithms cannot decide your surfacing methodology for you; you have to decide which features are important and how you will represent them in order to accomplish the goals.

To keep this focused on DMS and SolidWorks

Users at DMS seem to be split on CAD tools between SolidWorks and Fusion 360.

Objective is to get large volumes of scan data. Clean it up and get it into Solidworks so it can be worked on. Classic reverse engineering use case. You have the part, you have the key dimensions, etc.

We tried the scan to SolidWorks and it was really messy - could not clean it up to an acceptable surface model

We tried the scan to blender to SolidWorks. It was a slow and cumbersome process. Could be done, but not ideal. Could work for a one off problem.

We thought there had to be a way in SolidWorks. We asked some SolidWorks folks at DMS and did not have much luck.

A DMS member went to SolidWorks world. SolidWorks said issues with data set size, not what we do, etc. use Geomagic.

If there are specific options for large scale scan data to CAD functions in SolidWorks, love to hear it

Once we solve this we will move to Fusion 360

Really big picture - trying to work on “scan to use” cycle for 3D Scanning at DMS.

Initially focusing on small to medium sized items

Aditya - love to have a bigger picture discussion with you live. Let me know when you will be up at DMS

Max

The workflow I’ve seen people use for mostly larger car-related stuff, is bring the point cloud into your CAD, and then manually create a model to match the points. I’ve done something similar using my resident domestic Blender expert, which was super fast for her but I wouldn’t have been able to do.

Why not just take a test drive with a free trial?

For example:

1 Like

We intend to

Evaluation period is short

If you have not bought one of their scanners, you have to “call sales”

Just looking for anybody that has experience with it, or someone that knows someone.

If you have, please let us know

3dfab meeting? You should have brought it up it at the last meeting, before they talked about all the Bambu stuff.