SolidWorks STL file creation

I have created a solid model using the DMS SolidWorks Student Version which I have at home.
Can someone please walk me thru the STL file creation so that I can print at DMS? Can someone please post those instructions? Also, is there any tell-tale or verification on my solid model that will prevent STL creation and printing?

Select a Top, Right or Front view of your part. All you do is select “File” at the top right. The “Save As” In the drop down screen. The bottom dark area will show the “File name” (you can change it or leave it as is) and right below that is “Save as type” Click on that block and a list of other type files will be shown. Select and click on ".STL (*.stl) " Then press “SAVE” at the bottom. This will show you an information screen with some probably very important information I don’t understand but just select and click “Yes” That will create your Stl file. You can then take that to your slicing program and set it up for printing, Solidworks is pretty good at telling you if there is an issue… if you can create a part with no error you should be good. Hope that is what you were asking.

3 Likes

Thanks Steve! We have CATIA at work and there is a process used to create an STL file: simply do “SAVE AS” STL does not suffice.