Soldering help requested - I broke my GPS

The battery on my 8 year old GPS died so I bought a replacement. I opened the clamshell without issue and removed the battery, but when I was trying to insert the new battery’s connector, I used too much pressure and tore the connector off of the circuit board.

D’oh!

Is this repairable? If so, is someone at DMS willing to help me reattach said connector? I have neither the eyes nor the steady hand to execute such a repair.

I’m teaching a Blacksmithing class tomorrow (Sunday, 16 Jan 2022), but can be available afterwards (say, after 3pm).

There are three wires on the connector. There were two pads on the board which held the connector secure - I’m guessing a blob of hot glue or CA glue might suffice once resoldered since the copper pads have been peeled off. I think the pads were mechanical but not electrical in nature.

1 Like

The pads connectors are roughly on the same scale as the connectors on a micro-SD card.

First, you have to desolder those three pads. You need some high temp 2-part epoxy. Mix a small amount and put a very thin amount on those 2 ripped off pads and put them back down on the PCB. Then resolder the three pads.

I can help you with the soldering / desoldering if you want to come up to Highland village with a bit of epoxy.

JB Weld epoxy putty is the only high temp epoxy I know. Is there a brand/source of a better high temp 2-part epoxy, esp.a local one?

1 Like

No putty… you need the liquid stuff to spread out on the pads.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-HighHeat-25-ml-0-85-fl-oz-Temperature-Resistant-Epoxy-Syringe-50197/318795595

2 Likes

I don’t think you need anything high temp to glue the connector back down.
Thankfully it looks like the connection pads didn’t get lifted, only the mounting pads, so really just a case of align the connector, solder the 3 pads, glue it down (not necessarily in that order).
I can do it for you if you can get to Allen?

I found some high temp epoxy at Home Depot thanks to @Raymond’s help. Unfortunately, the pins on the connector were bent and some overzealous straightening on my part snapped them off.

Since the motherboard connector is now FUBAR, my Plan B is to solder some 30 ga stranded silicone wire directly to the board and then solder those directly to the three battery leads (planning to then NEVER try to replace_that_ battery). Wire should arrive on Wednesday.

2 Likes