Soldering a wire harness

Hi Electronics,

I need to solder a wire harness and would like to try out your soldering equipment. I didnt see anything in the rules that require signing off on anything, but checking if Im missing anything or if any rules were updated that I should know about?

Upcoming Electronics office hours: Events |Dallas Makerspace Calendar

Access to soldering equipment is not restricted, but like everything else at DMS you are still responsible for knowing what you are doing and prevent damage to equipment and yourself.

In short: if you know what you are doing have at it, if you don’t get help.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have a solder iron and have done a fair amount but I have a feeling you may have something better then the average Amazon special.

1 Like

Might i inquire the type of connectors? Do you need heat shrink? Do yo have cable that carry data and do you want to used twisted wire pair? Twisted pair - Wikipedia

@ozindfw , I am getting this right we use twisted wire pairs to ensure data in short term cabling or this just Ethernet?

Twisted wire pairs can be used on any balanced signal lines, analog or digital to get a high degree of noise immunity. Telephones use this universally, and most professional analog audio does as well. Ethernet is one digital example, but most industrial data applications use it as well. There are automotive applications but they are rarer.

I think CANBUS has made it less rare.

I know this sound silly. Is this an automotive wiring harness, mono propeller plane harness… etc etc?

Sorry, not ignoring you just been busy. I need to replace some bad wire I bought from Amazon, they claimed it 100% copper but now I believe it to be cca. I dont think the twisted pair is necessary for the harness.
But if its at least a 12g Id like to use it for my air pump in the car. It is behaving like possibly EMI is affecting it.

I might need some heat shrink.

Your basic dc motor w/ brushes should not be emi sensitive. If there’s emi high enough to bother that type of motor, you’re going to have serious problems elsewhere. Guessing this is an air pump that plugs into the dc pwr outlet - what used to be call the cig lighter. Current available will be around 10A (maybe more). Check if there’s a current rating for the air pump. Go to the wire charts and use the gauge for the length of cable you need to run.

A lot of the “convenience outlets“ are now 2-3A and fed with 18 AWG