Software Development Committee - Initial Meeting

For years, software development has been a special interest under Digital Media. DMS has a huge development community and it’s my belief, if organized, a Sofware Dev committee would have even more participants than DM.

Tonight @ 7p, we are meeting in the common area to organize a new DMS Software Development Committee. I will be recommending Humdan take on the role of chair position.

I understand it’s last minute, but if you have an interest in software development please try to attend tonight’s meeting if possible.

@denzuko @Gus_Reiter @bill @StanSimmons @wandrson @HankCowdog @Brian @the_pi_rho @jamccormick @arikrupnik @Josh_Melnick @mrcity @otto1 @DanielHooper @ScottVR @TBenV @ChrisPattison @actionjackson @renkessa @mrhavens @jast @AshleyTharp @artg_dms @heyheymama @chrissy @oyetkin @Kirk_Keeter @talkers @petree77 @Ian_Jaeger @Jadeja @darrent @richmeyer @zmetzing @coloneldan @kbraby @errant @thetazzbot @Karl_Lockhart @clk75201 @Sk8nmike @Hardsuit @keseymour @urbite

2 Likes

Tuesday is the evening study group for Ruby on Rails, which means we are likely to have our instructor @Kirk_Keeter on site, in the common area. He doesn’t necessarily check his email during the workday, so rope him into this meeting if you see him.

1 Like

I’m in, but I have a pre-existing commitment tonight at 6:45.

Not tonight; I have a conflict.

I also have a conflict. I’ve been one of the volunteers working on the calendar software.

1 Like

I’ll definitely be there

:+1:
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

I’ll be there since this is exactly what VCC has been doing since inception.

1 Like

hope your ready for the scrum meeting this month. it’s up on the calendar as DMS Software Development Priority Meeting

I must be blind. I cannot see the meeting summary anywhere.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/4442

Summary

About this Event
We’ll be addressing and tracking efforts on items listed in our Github Tracker and in https://github.com/orgs/Dallas-Makerspace/projects.

If your one of the Committee leaders, a Board member, Infrastructure Committee member, regular member looking to gain experience with scrum/agile practices, or a Volunteer that help developing software for the Dallas Makerspace then this is for you.

The first agenda item is to address issues discovered in the calendar, areas of improvement, and enabling a restful API to the calendar for development of the DMS Progressive Web App can be completed.

At the end of the meeting there should be:

• At lease three action items addressed
  • Story points assigned and Backlog groomed
  • Stories Items (ie bug reports, feature requests,user stories, etc.) handed out to committed individuals to resolve.

Edit:

Unless you meant this “Software Development Committee - Initial Meeting”? I didn’t see that until this afternoon and it wasn’t up on the calendar.

No, I was replying to the original post.

Coul and I spoke in the Common Room around 2 AM and he said he posted a summary of the meeting. I am not seeing it.

@denzuko I get a 404 error on this link. I cannot find it either by searching github. I will try to make Thursday’s meeting but 5pm is rough. 6pm significantly better.

@Coul I am interested in this as well, whether under VCC, DM, or Classroom, or a separate committee.

Sorry guys, thought it posted. Here ya go:

If you have an interest in joining the Software Dev Committee, PM me so I can add your name to the list of interested members.

We had a large turnout at tonight’s initial meeting. If you are interested, but unable to attend tonight’s meeting, no worry, the most important item on the agenda was the move to form an independent committee for Software Development which passed. We also spoke in general terms on goals of the committee such as teaching software development, attracting guest speakers who are leaders in related disciplines, working with Infrastructure on DMS related projects, and sponsoring hackathons. There were quite a few more great ideas being tossed around, but these have been the items most discussed and are the ones I will be taking to the board. Since, at the moment, a chair has not been elected, the newly formed committee might modify portions of the committee’s goals.

I will go before the board this Sunday @ 5p to express our interest in starting a new committee, give the goals of the new committee and convey the level of interest.

If you feel like you can add value to the presentation, let me know.

We also set a meeting time, pending board approval, for Tuesday, December 5th @ 7p. At that time, we will vote in the new chair for Software Development. I am removing myself as an option for SD chair.

In case you forgot already: If you have an interest in joining the Software Dev Committee, PM me so I can add your name to the list of interested members.

3 Likes

An additional update:

More discussion took place after the meeting which involved @denzuko, @Photomancer and me. I had to leave after a short time to go make, but, without me talking to Dwight yet and hearing this 2nd hand, they seem to think it would be an easier transition to change VCC into a special interest group (SIG) under the Software Development Committee who would elect a new chair, then take the committee position VCC currently holds.

My understanding the reason for this is because there are board members want fewer committees, not more, so it would possibly be easier to get passed by the board.

Personally, I’m great with that idea if it makes the transition smoother. I really don’t care one way or the other as long as Software Dev is made into its own committee, which is long over-due.

4 Likes

If there are more people taking SW Dev classes than participating in the vintage part, then that transition makes sense.

1 Like

Are we going to review other barely active committees; such as civic hacking and aerospace? Of the three, VCC seems far more active.

Heard - but did not read anywhere - that Aerospace is no longer a committee.
Civic hacking could become an SIG under new SD/IT committtee? Which might breathe new life into it?

1 Like

RC & Combat Robot are leaving.

Thoughts being bandied about is the area where RC is will be replaced with at least three dedicated workstations, i.e no YouTube or web browsing - even if empty. Don’t want it so people have to “ask someone to logoff”. This will allow folks that have to work on CADCAM, Laser files, CNC projects, Creative Cloud, etc. to have computers available designed for those needs.

4 Likes

This is now official. We are looking to make purchases of the three dedicated workstations on Black Friday