So You Think You Know...▫

…engines?

Clearly, it’s not that hard:

29/30 and I think they are wrong on # 23… Knocking is different than pinging/detonation.

1 Like

If you feel the need to do some more Auto Mechanic Practice Tests this should keep you busy for a while.
https://www.tests.com/practice/auto-mechanic-test

1 Like

What a Crock…

3 Likes
  1. When a car’s engine is running, power to operate the radio, CD player, headlights and windshield wipers comes from the:
    alternator

Some fun facts…

• An engine will run several hours on just the battery.

• The headlights shorten that time by one to two orders of magnitude.

• It is possible to traverse great distances in an automobile by moonlight.

• Toyota did a great job of protecting everything under the hood on their '83 pickup from mud and water except the alternator.

Good times. Floating valves, terrible clutch designs, and other such nonsense.

1 Like

How does moonlight change the inner dimensions of an automobile?

1 Like

Score in the middle of the curve again? :school:

Steam engines are simpler than ICE. So I wasn’t thinking of they just burn anything, which I would not associate with the “Steam Engine” itself. I’d consider the firebox separate.

I have performed this experiment. Less than good times. Lesson learned, however - whenever a mechanic can’t find something that’s definitely broken (and thus a part to sell) but insists that they charge some diagnostic fee, odds are they can indeed fix it without replacing anything but just want to generate some revenue; in my case a loose connection somewhere that nearly left me stranded on I-35 somewhere between here and Austin.

1 Like

That was my thought as well when I read that question. “Anything” is a pretty big word…

I gave up trying to parse those prepositional phrases and went with what I could muster.

2 Likes