So what's with the Tabby cats in the front?

To put some numbers on this, the City of Dallas has “Open Data”.
One facet the city reports on is Animal Control.
Here is a nifty breakdown of “final disposition”:

It reflects a 24% euthanization rate. Too high, absolutely. But hardly the “death sentence” generally attributed to (especially big city) animal control facilities.

I will also take this opportunity to say that most Animal Control Personnel are animal lovers. That’s why they went into Animal Services, to make a difference and help out their furry friends. Like any other organization, you get your power-hungry assclowns who are just in it to be in control of something, but these are relatively few and far between. Generally, these folks want to help animals as much as anyone, and lumping them into “they”, especially when combined with epithets, is unfair and unhelpful. We need to work with Animal Control and its employees as an ally, rather than vilifying them or the agency.

And finally, get your pets neutered. Get your neighbors pets neutered. Get any “outdoor pets” neutered.

2 Likes

Heard back from Dallas Cat Lady. She gave me her number so I will try to call her tonight, if not may be tomorrow. Ideally, since they seem to be social enough, I would much rather hope they can be fostered and adopted out. Here’s the response: I lend out traps and texasforthem.org fixes for just $5 in traps. We recommend also getting the fvrcp distemper shot, worming and flea treatment which can be done at TCAP or I do at cost while in traps.

6 Likes

I should still have a trap up in the red barn, provided my wife hasn’t loaned it out… and I’m happy to pitch in to the Spay/Neuter fund.

4 Likes

https://www.texasforthem.org/feral-cats/feral-fix-program/
backing info
No mention of cost as far as I could tell.
Must be in a trap.
Ear gets docked.
Looks to require “colony registration”.
And annual census.
I am hesitant to fill out either of those, for a variety of reasons, not least of which recent BoD action limiting member interaction on an “official” basis…
Thank you!
(and @SewingStuff)

Unless I’m misreading (then again, skimming while at work), colony registration is only required depending on city ordinance. So that would be something additional I am putting on my to-do list to lookup, to see if req’d.

Several area cities have initiated ordinances that require feral cat colony caretakers to seek sponsorships for their colonies. The Texas Coalition for Animal Protection would like to be your sponsor if you live in the North Texas area. Your information will be kept confidential and will not be sold or provided to outside vendors or municipalities.

1 Like

…unless required by court order.

:slight_smile:

It’s not immediately evident to me that Carrollton requires it, but it’s not immdiately evident that they don’t do it, either. Their “to the public” page doesn’t really say…
https://www.cityofcarrollton.com/departments/departments-a-f/animals-services/animal-ordinances

4 Likes

Lets just say that I wouldn’t ask Carrollton and that its better left unsaid.

3 Likes

Any time you’re ready to do this, let me know. We won’t really have to lure them into the traps – I am 95% sure I can grab both of them, and then we can stuff them into the traps. I’m hoping that grabbing Oliver won’t scare off Squirt. I’m up here almost every evening.

1 Like

When we did ours we were bringing them to Noah’s Ark Pet Hospital. They only did TNR on a specific day so we had to time trapping with their schedule. They might be worth checking with…
http://noahsarkpetclinic.com/

2 Likes

Just a quick google generated this info:
https://www.spca.org/feralcats? (scroll down page)
https://www.feralfriends.org/info/display?PageID=5818
As well as long pontifications about becoming a Feral Colony Manager. Phew.

1 Like

I have a trap I can bring up there this evening. Let me know if you’d like me to do that.

2 Likes

I will gladly contribute to this.

I could swear that someone posted a link to make a winter shelter using rubbermaid bins and styrofoam (but now I can’t find it). If someone wants to make a couple of those, I’d be glad to contribute to that also.

2 Likes

Post #28 by pendragyn

2 Likes

I really think this would be a great project for a group, (could this be a SIG?). Could even branch out and offer to make some for others in the area that manage colonies.

1 Like

So, I would be mindful that Carrollton is not friendly about feral cats. It seems more like a zero tolerance “if” they find out about them. I spoke to Debra with Dallas Cat Lady, they are full on fosters. I have two cats at home and cannot foster as one of my beasties already has a bunch of health issues. I do think if a foster can be found and kept contained in a room, they may socialize because the larger of two cats was very friendly with me. Either way, they need to be spayed or neutered (I don’t know their sex). If you have traps, please PM me and I will be happy to try to coordinate pick up. If we are shy of a trap, Debra has traps at low cost. She is more than willing to help trap if she is free. I’d be happy to give everyone my schedule, because I want these critters to be taken care of as best as possible. My schedule is a bit more restrictive because of my day job and physical therapy appointments, but I am available a few evenings a week and most weekends. If you want to coordinate trapping with Debra, just let her know you’re with the group at Makerspace trying to help the kitties. She said it’s cheapest and better to go through TCAP and they don’t require sponsorship. Said you have to get there early morning and schedule is not well posted on site. I didn’t get to look up others outside of TCAP yet but I know I had seen them float around on FB. If none of us can get there early morning, she said if she doesn’t have too many cats to take then she can help them hitch a ride up there (she goes mostly to Denton TCAP). Debra’s # 972 896 1126

2 Likes

It has been raining all day so I haven’t been able to go out to the shed and see if the trap is out there.

1 Like

I have a trap I can lend. Let me know when/where to drop it, and I will do so. Also willing to help if my schedule cooperates, but it’s pretty restricted, too, with day job, night job, other “night job” and various activities…
I also might have towels “custom fit” to the trap I have for covering to help kitty remain calm. I’ll bring that if I can find it…

2 Likes

I’m here most afternoons and evenings. Let’s see – tomorrow I’ll be here in the evening. Friday all day. Saturday mid-afternoon and evening. Sunday afternoon and evening, although I’m teaching back in Ceramics at 3:30.

2 Likes