Snowmagedon 2024!

If you haven’t heard, the weather report calls for a high possibilty of snow Monday thru Wednesay due to the drop in temperature. They have been brining the highways since Tuesday in anticipation for the bad weather. Just wanted to give a reminder and heads up to y’all, stay safe.

4 Likes

A wee bit more detail:

What We Are Certain Of

• Exceptionally cold weather will arrive this weekend and continue into early next week.
  • At times, expect temperatures as low as the single digits with wind chills near or below zero.
  • The dominant precipitation type for the far northeastern counties will be snow.

What We Are Less Certain Of

• Precipitation type along and south of I-30.
  • Precipitation rates and accumulations. It’s possible some precipitation will evaporate/sublimate prior to reaching the ground, especially Sunday night. This would decrease accumulations.
  • How far west wintry precipitation will occur.

Additional Resources

NWS Fort Worth Webpage: Fort Worth/Dallas, TX

Hourly Forecasts (Click on your location): IDSS Forecast Points

NWS Fort Worth Hazard Pages: Experimental Graphical Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather & Hazards Data Viewer: NWS Weather & Hazards

NWS Update Fri Jan 12 2024.pdf (712.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thanks Rich. Im from Chicago and weather is extremely hard to predict. (Unless you use statistics like 5% chance of rain) lies, damn lies, and statistics. The metroplex is a huge area. If there a chance of hail? Well yea there is always a chance…does hail fall on my car when the weatherman warns me? No never. Does it hit my car when the weatherman says is going to be clear all night? (Every time). Do I trust weather forecasts and base my life around them? (Never). Do I stay off roads when it’s cold and rainy? Of course. Weather prediction at up to 72 hours is fairly good. Beyond that…it’s not great, and even then it could be raining in Garland and clear in Carrollton. Unless you are following up to the minute radar, it’s not all that helpful.

1 Like

It’s just warning for people, it doesn’t cross their plane of thought until it’s too late. If they have something to remind them of the upcoming weather report, then they can have a plan b.

2 Likes

Lol. I better go get milk and bread.

2 Likes

Too late. It’s probably sold out everywhere.

1 Like

Suggestions from my power company:

Always the improvised frost cap for your wall-mounted spigots.

Just, uh, use good judgement involving water and electricity, eh? As in be very very sure your spigot doesn’t leak, you can cinch the frost cap down without moving the valve, and you can safely run power to it.

Although, based on Rich’s detail, we’ll be getting “wintry mix”. Which is more “normal” for DFW, and usually harder to drive in. Snow causes some issues, but not nearly as much as wintry mix, where one is likely to have ice on the road.

I have 2 things I take away from Northerners saying “Youse guys can’t drive in snow”. 1.) one week a year doesn’t give us enough practice. And 2.) Normally here it isn’t snow. It’s ice! Nobody can drive well on ice!!

3 Likes

I have an unreasonable amount of experience driving on ice for a southerner and I can say that while difficult it’s not impossible so long as you’re willing to massively rethink your approach to driving and suppress bad habits that are acceptable on dry pavement. I still avoid it now that my work no longer mandates making it in to the office every day regardless of conditions.

1 Like

Scandinavians and Canadians will beg to differ.

Of course no one here has studded snow tires. I wonder if they are actually banned in Texas?

It’s the hassle. One week max of crazy weather? And then you have to change them back out. I’ve seen chains for sale in local stores. Probably just enough folks buy those to make them worth their shelf space. Tires? You probably can’t even find those around here.

So they are “banned” by economic factors…

Sure, but people move here from the frozen north and I’m sure one or two sets have made it here. I was just musing.

And you can hear those tires during times like this…

Native Texan drivers cannot drive well in a warm rain, let alone snow.

One thing they do really well is ‘alert’ all the drivers behind them to where the upcoming bridges/overpasses are by the sea of brake lights.

This is a great time for bodyshops and tow trucks.

Dress warm for your adventure out on the streets, take bottles of water with you, and any other cold weather items in the event you find yourself stuck or off the road waiting for help.

This beautiful photo was the last snow here, a lovely blanket of white!

1 Like

This was the response given by my friend (native upstate New Yorker) when I taunted him about stuffing his SAAB 900 turbo into a jersey wall one winter in Cleveland with “I thwat all nyew yohkuhs can drive on snow unlike we Texas transplants”. “Spencer, nobuddy can drive on ice”. Shrug “MY car is still dent free this winter…”.

Adding:
This site
Shows Texas does NOT allow studded tires ever.

2 Likes

Think of all the Mustangs, Camaro’s & such that will meet the “whoops”

2 Likes

I remember this question from my first written test: Metal tire studs are prohibited in Texas along with any which would damage the pavement.

Four/All wheel drive may help keep you from getting stuck. But it does help you stop quicker. And it definitely does not help the other guy stop quicker.

Unless you have to go out, stay home; stay warm; stay safe…

For most people I think it just helps them get stuck more thoroughly. Effective use of 4WD requires a little understanding and thought.

You’re also correct is has no effect on the 4.5 million people trying to kill you - some of whom also have 4WD.

They covered one of the four P’s - pipes.

Remember the other three:

• Pets - keep them indoors if possible on the coldest days. Be sure they have plenty of food and non-frozen water.

• Plants - bring plants in pots indoors. There are still a few warm hours left to water and/or cover sensitive vegetation.

• People - check on elderly and neighbors if they need help winterizing

Finally don’t forget the mechanical condition of vehicles. Start and run seldom-used vehicles to charge the battery. Make sure the anti-freeze is in good condition. Top off windshield washer fluid. Remove drinking water bottles. It is a good idea to have a full tank of fuel to prevent moisture condensation and just in case you may need it to keep warm.

1 Like