SlingFest - Go Team DMS

So last night was our first meeting for the 2016 SlingFest, held in Plano by our good fellow/rival makerspace TheLab.ms.

@AlexRhodes @MellissaRhodes @bgangwere (also @themitch22 who was there in spirit) and I decided that DMS could show them how its done and so we formed a team to build a floating arm trebuchet. (Google some videos, seriously, they’re awesome)

Chances are high that we will need help (mentally and physically). If anyone has good lumber or perhaps tube steel, truck axle, etc that could be donated to this mighty cause, we may just take it.

Anyway, still need to figure out an official team name (suggestions accepted), @uglyknees offered to create matching team outfits (although tutu’s were mentioned).

If you would like to help in construction, please say. The event is being held on Oct 30th, we pretty much have our firing line team but could use a rowdy crowd to cheer on our glorious success (or failure, whichever comes first)

Sling away with the suggestions!! (Groan…)

6 Likes

I’m down for the rowdy crowd depending on what time the event goes down. I have something in Dallas at 2:30p

Sir Flings-a-lot

Are we looking at steel or wood?

Possibly a combination of both? Details are thin right now, other than we want a floating arm model.

2 Likes

What are we chucking? Some sort of fruit I assume?

What category do we want to win? Distance, accuracy or funkiness?

Thanks Mark for posting about this. I think a floating arm Trebuchet would be very fun to build. I hope it throws a little farther than the Texas Tech video. I want to see 1000ft throws but maybe I’m crazy. We’ll get together and flush out the details. I am excited about competing a large Trebuchet in October (hopefully it doesn’t get rained out).

I was thinking we could build a Murlin Trebuchet

Are there any upcoming planning meetings scheduled for this? I’m interested in design/construction

What is the scale of this competition? Aiming for a quarter mile would be a very large device.

Are these the rules for this year? http://thelab-ms.github.io/SlingFest/rules.html

3 Likes

Yep those appear to be the same rules given at the initial meeting. We would be glad to have you aboard Brandon.

As for meeting time, we have been trying to meet every sunday afternoon. Will keep you informed when the next one is set

1 Like

So far we’ve decided on a floating arm king arthur design: http://thehurl.wikidot.com/trebuchettypes:faka

What are the pros/cons of a FAKA vs this style?

(8 feet tall, ~700 pound counterweight, throws pumpkin 100 yards)

1 Like