Slingfest Crew Logistics

Was it set for high due to the test location, or do we intend for it to always be a high angle?

One has not truly seen beauty until youā€™ve seen a glowing green milk carton arcing through darkness of night on its heavenly travels. Experienced the cheers Makers cheering from the shadows paying homage to their creation.

Had someone yelled ā€œIt workedā€ vs "Itā€™s alive! It worked, it worked it worked!! Iā€™d not been surprised,

1 Like

I did not phrase that well. It was set for what should be latest release and the system was still releasing at a high angle.

There were some technical problems:
The first harness pretty well came apart - G loads were obviously high. Ripped stitching
The steel cable clamps were stressed enough that they slipped, which would change release point.
And we did almost land one on our self. So targeting is questionable.

Gawd, Iā€™m glad I was there to witness it.

2 Likes

For sunday we will have a different pin allowing 15 more degrees adjustment, and also longer sling cables, we want it to release later than it currently is so we need to increase sling cable length. Ideal is projectile leaving at ~43 degrees when arm is vertical and weight is at lowest point, projectile should leave and the arm remains perfectly still, showing that all available energy went into the projectile.

Can you explain why not at 45 degrees?

Air resistance. Trade shorter flight time to reduce the effects of drag.

2 Likes

Now that Iā€™ve seen how the first (prototype) pouch disintegrated, Iā€™m concerned about our limited qty of pouches. We have the v2 pouch that I made today. I think I can modify the v1 pouch with a couple additional cross pieces so it will hold the melon. Do we need to scramble and get more webbing so I can make another one? I have a couple more D-rings. That seatbelt webbing you got is really nice. I think if we ordered some post-haste we could get it on Saturday - unless someone knows of a local source ā€¦

What do you think?

I think the 2" webbing ones will be good and hold up to the 20-60 gs (140 - 420 pounds of force), I donā€™t expect them to break. The one that broke during testing was very crappily made.

If anything a sling out of a different material would be good as a backup, we could just bring some duct tape and make a 10 layer duct tape pouch in an emergency.

1 Like

Need Multiples to in the event of failures.

Whatever the 2" webbing cost - get it form local Joannā€™s or whatever. That will be part of CAā€™s contribution to the cause, I think we afford such splurging - Victory does not come without a price (money in this case). Iā€™d quote the Spartan motto: "Come back with your shield - or on it. Only we want you to come back safely, Victory or not ā€¦ thereā€™s always next year!

Just keep the receipt and turn in expense form at the black mailbox by server room.
@uglyknees

1 Like

Generous offer, and Iā€™ll go take a look-see ā€¦ but I donā€™t recall seeing anything suitable at Joannā€™s. Any other recommendations for sources are appreciated.

@Brandon_Green will this material be good enough for Chris to sew? 2" towing straps?

nORTHEN TOOL TOW STRAP $20

Harbor Freight $12, 20 feet of 2" Towing strap

Although ā€¦ there is one (other) thing CA could contribute to the cause. Pending @Brandon_Green approval, of course ā€¦ I think that Pegasus would benefit from a large vinyl cut Dallas Makerspace on one or both of uprights. Unless there is already something like that in the works. I donā€™t know if weā€™re going to get there with the paint job, but Iā€™m guessing it wouldnā€™t take too long to apply vinyl.

@Brandon_Green @uglyknees @Adam_Oas

CA has No problem with that. We support our community and give back what is given to us.

Just need someone with file and to do it.

@patrickpleez1 said he would be willing to do it ā€¦ Patrick, are you still in for this?

Up for what? Iā€™m sorry. I am a bit lost.

Brandon and I planned to make a sign for each side to be attached to the weights. I made a vector file with the pegasus, logo, and DMS wording to cut a spray paint stencilā€¦ but the thunder laser was always occupied during my last few visits and Iā€™m headed out of town tomorrow :disappointed:. We have the materials to make them though. @Brandon_Green do you plan to make this happen or do we need a volunteer? I can share the vector file as needed

I would suggest cutting circular foam board to mount the vinyl onto then slipping these outside the concrete circles. Will spruce it up a bit and give it a good surface to mount on.

Sorry, Iā€™m unlikely to be back at the space until early next week at the soonest.

@MellissaRhodes Does PR plan on bringing out some tables / promotional material?