Since buying Baltic Birch Plywood when you can find it feels like a prostate exam at the moment

Central was completely out yesterday and saying not going to get any for at least a month. I did find what I needed at Brazos but I am not willing to say what I paid. Brazos said once he is out of what little he has thinks he might not get any in for the foreseeable future.

Brazos said he has been selling more of the Vietnamese Birch. Has anyone had experience with the Vietnamese Birch Plywood? Any pros or cons?

Mind sharing what thickness and grade of Baltic you were looking for?

3/4 and 1/2 in I did call Craddock. They only carry 1/2 in which they had. The grade they sold me was BB/CP

Plywood Company of Fort Worth has 1000 sheets of 12mm BB/BB coming in in the next few days. About a third of it is already spoken for. I ordered 3 units (33 sheets/unit) to have stock for my regular customers.

4 Likes

The Vietnamese stuff has a veneer thickness slightly thinner than tissue paper. I’ve got a few of the 3/4” ones now, and they are soooooo thin!

1 Like

My experience with Vietnamese birch has been low ply count, low density, and thin veneer like Andrew said.

1 Like

Are you still buying Baltic Birch or have you switched to something else?

Right now I’m using Maple/Oak as need allows. I’ve still got a few projects I am doing with this tissue paper from Vietnam, but it really is a pain to work with.

1 Like

Bert - any idea if they have 18mm quad-B?

If you meant 18mm, not sure. They had some B/BB on hand. Heard they also have 4x8 Russian Birch, but price has really gone nuts.
http://www.plywoodcompany.com/MainSite/Store1/StoreProducts/ProductList/198

1 Like

(a bit of a hijack:) I wonder if there is any end in sight to this general shortage (not just Baltic birch/plywood, but wood and other building materials in general)? I get the multiple factors as to what’s caused it, but still…hoping for some price relief…ummm…sometime this year?

I have no facts. My opinion is no significant relief until the fall if interest rates stay down. The brightest glimmer I see is reports that this is a new normal and pricing will stay high even if some decline happens. Folks who predict that “this time is different” and markets won’t fluctuate in historical patterns are almost always wrong. So the more who climb in the new normal bandwagon, the closer we are to a reversal. I may be wrong.

1 Like