Simulators for RPi and Arduino

There was some discussion about Arduino simulators during the LTSpice class. Did a quick search and found:

Edit - Autodesk Circuits (free)
https://circuits.io/

One of my newsletters announced a simulator for the RPi:

Anybody used any of these?

5 Likes

Pardon my ignorance but these look interesting and I’m trying to learn basic robotics to apply to my art. What does a simulator do?

1 Like

Brief definition - it’s a program that allows you to build your circuit, project, etc. and exercise it in a software environment.
For example: LTSpice is a circuit simulator. You can enter a circuit for a audio filter and then exercise the circuit by programming different signal inputs and watching how the circuit responds.

It’s a design tool and like any other tool you have to know how to use it, what it’s limitations are, etc. It’s not a substitute for not knowing what you’re doing - on the other hand it can be an extremely powerful learning tool. As Walter pointed out in the LTSpice class - enter the circuit and run the simulations, now go build the circuit and measure how it behaves and see how close the program was.

1 Like

Ok so not a full substitute but enough to make sure my bumbling around doesn’t fry something I’m assuming

You’re close. You still need to have some idea of what to expect from the program.