Silver Ring Liner

Hello,
I am pretty new to anything jewelry, I want to make some more of these damascus rings but since they are high carbon steel they will rust against skin and wanted to do a sterling silver (or some skin safe material) liner on the inside of the ring and never really fully understood how to do it. Does anyone have experience in this that would be willing to help me? thanks!

Making a thin band isn’t hard. Making it into a sheath to go around another ring is, especially since you can’t solder silver to steel.

Also, never put steel in the pickle, it will ruin the solution and will need to be changed out.

I have some ideas on how to make a thin silver band that’s more or less a U shape that can cold fit inside the steel ring. It will then spin, but that’s okay.

If you like the look, have you considered mokume gane? These are silver and copper.

2 Likes

Sorry I just saw this. Yes I have done makume before, I make damascus knives so I am already making a decent bit of that and I have seen a video of someone putting a silver band inside of one but they just sort of did it and didnt give much info. Not knowing a lot about jewelry or silver i think it just confused me more haha. The photo of the ring i posted was just throw away piece i made for fun, If we wanted to give one a go on it it is fine if it doesnt work out.

Yeah, a cold join of some kind will be your best bet. Unless you want to go the laser welding route, and even then, melding metals isn’t going to work well. More of get the silver closed up seamless rather than have an open seam in the liner.