Silhouette Cameo Questions

I tried to use the Silhouette Cameo last night (Tues 11/30) and I had a few problems. The most important one was that the blade was dull. Should I bring my own blade and try to change the blade? Is there a new blade in CA that I should try to change out to? I’ve never changed the blade before, but I could hopefully follow the instructions provided.

I also couldn’t get to my items in the Silhouette store; it wouldn’t let me log in. That was less of a problem since I was trying to cut a simple shape and just remade it in the studio software.

Thanks for any help!

I always bring my own blade for that reason. It isn’t hard to change them. I will be up there after lunch if you want help…you can also borrow one of my blades if needed

1 Like

Does the silhouette require training?

I do not think so…why?

I don’t think so. Maybe (way back) we decided it was too cheap (comparatively) to worry about breakage.

Just wondering. I’ve never used it before.

Tis easy…except i design in inkscape…then bring it into silhouette. I can show you if you need help.

Also…@laurakathleen…you might not be able to access the store because there isnt internet access on that computer…or at least there wasnt last week.

There might have been internet last night. The wiki sender-thingy in CA was being very spastic last week. It’s been replaced.

But – we might never have set that machine to have internet access.

1 Like

I spoke to Jay the other day about getting that design computer connected to the internet, so hopefully we can get that resolved soon.

As for blades, I don’t believe we have a stock of them anywhere in creative arts, though I haven’t actively searched for them. I can certainly order a couple for the cameo

3 Likes

I know I ordered blades for the vinyl cutter (Titan??), and those would probably be in the Teacher’s Cabinet. Nobody ever requested blades for the Cameo.

Even if CA had blades, it’s probably simpler to bring your own. Like other areas, if you’ve got your own, you’re guaranteed that you’ll have a sharp blade.

Sure, but if the current blade is dull then it would make sense to replace it, for those users who don’t have their own stash of blades

3 Likes

Yeah – blades are a funky thing for costs. Sure, we always like to have a sharp blade, and one session shouldn’t mess a blade up entirely. One hopes…

I will get a couple of project classes set up for the silhouette.

5 Likes

I can get a new blade to install and be there on Friday or Saturday sometime if that is a possibility. Just let me know.

Either works. Friday after 10 or Saturday after 12

Sorry, I had to order the new blades from Amazon because Michaels only stocks blades for the Cameo 3 and 4, and they’re not compatible with the Cameo 2. They are supposed to arrive on Saturday, so maybe next week sometime? I got a 3-pack, so we can leave the new blade in for the next user, and I’ll still have one to bring with me for future use.

I don’t know if you’re usually up at the Makerspace or need to make a special trip, but I’m happy to accommodate your schedule. I have appointments in the mornings next week, M-W, but other than that, I’m pretty flexible!

Thanks!

1 Like

We can see next week…I am up there throughout the week and am only 15 minutes away.

Just a side note…TheRhinestoneWorld YouTube channel gives away a new Cameo and other stuff every Monday to someone logged in and viewing at the end of the Monday night “live” tutorial. It’s a great how-to resource for all things rhinestone & HTV.

2 Likes