Show and Tell October 2023

Perfect! Thanks for the link!

EDIT: I found that the gnomes were FREE patterns on that site. BONUS!

3 Likes

Another pipe i made for a commission. Before and after the dye job.

16 Likes

looks great! What is the wood dyed with?

Leather dye actually, the youtubers I learned from all seem to prefer it. You can’t use it in the bowl (I use an activated charcoal powder and honey paste in there as its food safe), but on the exterior its okay. then 5 coats of shellac for the finish.

3 Likes

Rocket stove made from square tubing.

17 Likes

Made my first cutting board in Thomas Lorkowski‘s cutting board class!

16 Likes

Made some glassworking tools. @nugen did some of the welding and @Bizwacky helped with getting the hot illusion pink Powdercoat to work correctly.

Before illusion (partially cured)

After (clear coated and cured):

14 Likes

I picked up my resin pen blank this morning. It is a little lower on one end as I suspect the wood served as a little bit of a expoxy dam, the epoxy was closer to cure than I though or I didn’t pour it uniformly. Regardless, I’m still very happy with it.

Great class @Lordrook

14 Likes

Finally cleaned up the Vice handle I turned after Lathe Basics class.

Vice Handle

And made a holder for my dowel jig inserts.

Insert 1
Insert 2

10 Likes

It came out good! It was fun cracking the illusion code.

Had my sons help finishing up some Halloween projects… we finishing you the frame to hold up the eyes on the man eating bush… and then I taught Henry how to use the paint sprayer and and we finished Bigfoot

15 Likes

Over the door horse decoration for our new tack room.

Three layers of laser cut plywood: spraypainted black, stained brown, and natural wood tone. Horses are about 4” tall.

15 Likes

Really nice work Mike!

1 Like

I was hoping to have my first turned resin fountain pen to show off, but things didn’t go so well with cutting the threads… so I’m going to have to try again with a different blank. (Maybe for November’s thread?) However, I figured I would post up a couple of things I made recently.

Drew up a design on the iPad in Procreate and tried out the dye sub equipment for the first time since taking the class.

My son said he was interested in being the Mandalorian for Halloween this year so I made a helmet. Printed on my personal printer (in multiple parts since my bed isn’t big enough to one-shot something of this size) in PLA+. Plastic-welded the main parts together but the smaller “ear” pieces were attached with CA glue… filled with Bondo glazing and spot putty, sanded, followed by many, many layers of Duplicolor filler primer and sanding. I find that Duplicolor coats better and cures faster than other brands, despite being more expensive and less available. There are still plenty of flaws and some layer lines, but I eventually got to the level of “good enough for an 11-year-old’s costume” and had to call it quits before I drove myself mad. There are a few base coats of gloss black followed by a rub of graphite powder. The visor is a 1mm thick PET poly sheet cut to shape and then tinted with some transparent vinyl automotive film. I made two visors – one almost black and the other a fair bit lighter (so he can see in the dark), and attached them with velcro so they can be swapped easily. Then I lined the inside with acoustic foam to keep it oriented on his head properly.

20 Likes

This is the way.

3 Likes

Oh that’s hot. This is the way!

1 Like

Hello,
As I am over 6 feet the newer car front cameras and OEM rearview mirrors are too low in my eyes when driving. I have had a temporary solution when I removed the factory rearview as shown in first photo. I then 3D printed an ABS cover for the whole where their factory rearview mirror and trim would attach. I added a backplate to the OEM larger cover and painted everything. This cap with a sport like rearview mirror with old standard mount looks and works so much better :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Learning to make baskets. These are my first few attempts. Heart basket with wooden base, #00 natural reed stakes, waxed linen weaving. Acorn basket with wire stakes and waxed linen. Bark basket (crepe myrtle bark). I’ve only made two small baskets previously so this is a voyage of discovery.

Most natural materials used in real-life-scale basket weaving are unsuitable for miniature weaving, so I’m playing with various materials to see what’s usable.

Definitely won’t be using the crepe myrtle bark again … :laughing:

14 Likes

Made another leather leaf tray

Edit- I know orange leather dye is non-existant or hard to find. Heres the secret sauce for orange leather dye I found online. Using Fiebings Pro oil dye- 1 part saddle tan, 12 parts yellow, 3-4 parts red.
I’m currently working on a leather pumpkin and accidentally used 5 parts of red and it’s more burnt orange FWIW.

10 Likes

Chris Marlow, for weaving very small baskets, try wire. For a basket about 2 inches in diameter, 20 gauge ribs, 22 or 24 gauge weavers. Smaller for smaller baskets. Can use the colored copper based wires for variety. Did a class one time a while back. Fun.

3 Likes