Show and Tell November 2023

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

I am happy to share that, with the help of Jim, I am able to engrave on my cut board using Laser

14 Likes

I’m a stock removal knife maker, meaning I take billets of steel already forged, and then use grinders and sanding to turn the steel into a knife. I’ve never forged a blade on an anvil, so recently I took an intro to blacksmithing class in the blacksmith shop to at least get a feel for forging and signed off on the tools. Nick @raceman1590 is a great teacher. Take some of his classes if you get the chance. He gave us a choice of small projects. My back is jacked up right now and I can’t do a whole lot so I chose to make a small leaf. This looks like a leaf right? Thanks Nick for a great class!

20 Likes

I made some machine moving skates to make the move of the new air compressor easier. It started out with 1” solid steel that @mikeglass gave me a few years ago. I faced all the steel on the Bridgeport. Machined it using stop blocks in the vise to allow quick setups. I will create a build thread in the Machine Shop thread.

18 Likes

I made a series of 4 pieces that we fired at our special raku event last night.

The pots are thrown on the wheel, and after they come out of the kiln, they go on a table and horse hair or feathers are burned on to the surface to make the black designs on the white pots.

The top pieces are pinch potted, which means I start with a chunk of clay and pinch it into shape. These come out of the kiln and are thrown into a trash can with paper where they catch on fire, are covered with more paper, and the lid closes to let all those elements interact with the glaze to create interesting chemical reactions. Once the smoking has died down they are shocked with cold water and rinsed of char, leaving the raw clay body black and the parts that are glazed a very vivid and lively color/texture (often metallic appearing in parts).

I hope more raku folks will post on here, we had some real success!

17 Likes

It’s almost been 2 years since I have been a DMS member but I thought I’d show how my PrintNC CNC machine build ended up I started at DMS. I moved to a house in St. Louis that has a large unfinished basement so it gave me tons of room to work on it. All the steel was cut, drilled, and tapped in the machine shop. The electronics cabinet is from @Shawn_Christian. Thousands of dollars, many ebay and Amazon orders, loading and unloading the car, blood, sweat, and tears. But it’s finally running off gcode and drilled the grid of holes in the spoil board. I appreciate everyone who helped, especially the late David Kessinger (He will dearly be missed) who first trained me on the Bridgeport.

29 Likes

Made myself a leather messenger bag and a pumpkin decoration.

28 Likes

very cool!

1 Like

wow those are gorgeous!

1 Like

Daniel, I have been wanting to make a messenger bag. This is inspiring! Fantastic job! I love it! It looks great!! Cool pumpkin too! Did you sew on the thor? hand sew? or perhaps both is what it appears to have required?

Thanks! The bag was all hand sewn. It took about 40 or so hours.

2 Likes

what color is the dark dye on the bag, seems to have a reddish hue, although I am mildly color blind on certain shades

I used Horween Chromexel chrome tan leather for that part. The rest was dyed veg tan (only way to get a custom color).
https://maverickleathercompany.com/product/chromexcel-timber/

1 Like

Stop flexing on us with those basement pics :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s not my fault Texas is built on bad clay dirt and flood plains. It’s part of why I moved besides there’s nowhere to rent an affordable shop space in Dallas that isn’t in a sketchy abandoned building.

1 Like

Took another jewelry class from @Jcastanon

This time the spinner ring class. She’s a great teacher and the project came out fantastic. I gave it to a friend and she loved it!! These classes are great and working with silver is easier than one might think. Great class!!
Uploading: IMG_4998.jpeg…

16 Likes

No fair mitch. you worked at multicam. I mean i am hoping you could get a special deal for a big table cnc. Get set up you have. Yet still i wish thing worked out for a bigger setup. Good to hear you are doing well. Thanks for constructing the delta printers.

1 Like

Multicam didn’t even pay well pre-covid so I doubt I’d be able to remotely afford one of their machines. Even the used 20 year old multicam machines are going for $10k. Dallas just got too expensive to have a hobby involving a workshop, Dallas makerspace is a very unique thing for sure. I miss having the 24/7 lift access too.

2 Likes

With the gracious assistance of Burt and Patrick in Woodshop, I was able to repair this 30+ year old broken breakfast table (presumably oak), and place it back into daily service, hopefully for many more years. It’s a simple, workaday table, but was far too functional to toss into the garbage heap.

Tools used:

Woodshop jointer
Woodshop domino (wood biscuit) tool, with the help of @pjolone
Tie-down straps used as glue-up clamps, courtesy of @SWA
Titebond III glue
Golden pecan stain
Poly finish

24 Likes