Show and Tell May 2024

Please post a picture and description of anything Maker-related you are working on this month!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Hi I am Jeff. Made this copper and stainless steel coffee scoop doing work both at the space and at home, but all can be done at the space. Used the press, induction forge, belt sander, hammers, and anvils in the blacksmith shop. Used my buffer and jewelers tools at home to get the polished finish, but that could be done in the jewelry lab at the space. Was a kit I got online from Housemade. Mostly I make knives, some jewelry, and beginning to learn metal fabrication. I made this just because I like making things, and it was both satisfying and fun to do.

25 Likes

This is gorgeous!

2 Likes

Just a note. Jewelry has no problem with folks polishing copper or brass on our equipment, if you have been trained on it. However, STEEL IS A NO NO. Steel causes problems in many aspects of jewelry making, so we don’t want our tools used for steel, not even polishing. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Yes definitely. Only the copper is polished on this project. The steel handle is just a heat patina from the induction forge and hammer texturing.

Made this sculpture from scrap metal that was on the metal shop. I believe it is stainless steel, used the English wheel, a metal forming mallet to give some shape, and the spot welder.
Finished with powder coating.
It needs a “base”, I m still working on it.

21 Likes

Did a group build today for star wars day. We made an X-wing pilot uniform.

Still ironing out a few details but the finished uniform will go in the lobby to show off.

16 Likes

Is that pun intended?? :rofl:

4 Likes

So this was partially prototyped and built at DMS. Completely Designed and modeled in Solidworks. All the metal and wood parts were cnc machined at DMS. All of the plastic parts are printed on our home Bambu x1c. It is an articulated embroidery hoop work holding stand designed for my wife’s hand embroidery company (lolli and grace) to sell. This is our original design and it has a lot of mechanical improvements over anything on the market . We could could not have prototyped it without DMS tools . We go to production this summer .

20 Likes

Awesome work. I love it when DMS sponsored/assisted creations eventually go to market. What an achievement. Congratulations.

3 Likes

Here is a pen I made earlier today. My first time using a laser cut inlay kit and my first CA finish as well. This was also the most complex pen I have ever made.

18 Likes

Stunning! Great job!!

1 Like

Love it! Nice work

1 Like

Had fun last night making this copper cuff for a friend.

9 Likes

Auto-adjusting filing vise.

Designed in Inkscape, plasma cut on the DMS CNC plasma cutter, a little drilling at home, and a lot of grinding on my new 2x72 grinder to remove the plasmacutter’s angled kerf (thus squaring up the sides) and remove the forgescale from the faces of the hot-rolled mild steel. Still have a little cleanup to do, but the vise is currently functional.

Based on the design I saw on a YouTube video. The inner jaw can pivot to accommodate various widths of material while the pointed jaws allow access to filing at relatively shallow angles. It will also clamp tapered items securely.

11 Likes

Her friend asked me to help them fix their woodgrain veneer kit on their 1986 Lincoln da Vinci. Here’s the end result project, but took a bit of time to getting the veneer pattern right , because the original veneer was so warped and broken distorted

9 Likes

More non profit work/. I really enjoy making these

11 Likes

I was invited to help build a custom chess board. Playing area was to be a cube with magnets to hold playing pieces in place. Customer wanted the squares stained close to the color of his set. Inner cube built with 3/4 Baltic Birch plywood. Squares made of Soft Maple. Legs and base from Hard Maple.

My first test was to confirm joining angles and relief cut on top pieces. Thanks to @John_Marlow for mini table saw pointers.

Cube has 90 playable squares, all with 2 stacked ceramic magnets. Drilled recess in each square, but needed more space drilled into cube. Glued the stained squares a cube built and drilled by Bert Rabbe. Top corners are filled with triangles, and legs inset into bottom corners.

Shaped first four legs, and width and height needed to be increased.

New legs increase width by 4+ inches, and clearance by 1 inch.

Completed project in shop.

Game installed on custom table at customers home. The card says:

NINETY (TradeMark)

Patent Pending

© Benchmark Harris

All Rights Reserved

Rhombicuboctahedroidal Chess. Soft maple playing surface, with

hidden magnets under 90 playing squares and mirrored hard maple

support crafted by Howard Forsberg and Bert Rabbe in 2024.

13 Likes