Show and Tell May 2022

Sorry if I’m posting this and the wrong location again but, I think this is close I can get to posting in the show and tell forum.

I have been working for months on this project. It’s for my husband‘s birthday that’s on May 31. I started with the inspiration of giving him his own type of Oscars/Grammys/Tonys/Emmy award. Out of 30 years of pure bread dog showing, list little rescue dog, who is half wiener and half Chihuahua mix, was is the apple of his eye and closer to him than a daughter. A few years ago we lost her to old age yet she still remains a very important figure of positive love and family for him.

I started by sending pictures away to have a 3-D custom model created. Then, I went to an award shop in Irving and had the base and face plate made. Then, I printed the 3-D file with a 3-D printer and finally finished it by painting it in gold leaf paint.

This is probably one of the biggest creative efforts I’ve ever made. What do you think of it? Is it worthy of a spouses birthday present?

21 Likes

It is worthy. I’m sure you appreciate the thoughts and effort it takes to make a unique special gift. Anyone can buy someone something. I would guess you’ve made a lifelong treasure.

1 Like

I lost my college dog 15 years ago, shortly after I got married. My wife made me a photo collage, but this is amazing.

Be prepared for the possibility of seeing your husband bawl like a baby.

This is awesome. Nice job.

3 Likes

This is how I wrapped it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How Texan, Duct Tape!!

1 Like

In the Leather journal class we went from cow hide to book.

11 Likes

Thanks to all who attended tonight’s leather journal class!!!

17 Likes

Finally got the last few parts in to finish my Looping ADSR and VCO from AI Synthesis and took a few minutes between arcade board repairs to install them.

I still need to hook them up to an oscilloscope and tune them and my Thomas Henry X-4046 VCO. Building Eurorack modules is FUN, but a hard with all the component shortages. Still don’t have some parts for my Plaits module - the surface mount STM32 CPU and D/A converter chips. Those are on backorder for another year.

10 Likes

A Redditor on /r/synthdiy created a Eurorack front panel for the 99 sound effect module that can be found cheap on eBay / Amazon / Alibaba. I built it a couple of months ago, but tonight I finally finished it by shortening the wires and crimping a 16-pin IDC cable socket onto the power wires.

Now it plugs into the IDC power bus and is a tight enough build that it fits into the width of the front panel. I did some creative mounting for the PCB, but not creative enough. Next time I’ll use thinner sheet metal and mount it between the audio jacks and front panel so I don’t have to drill holes.

This module lets me add sound effects (hall, reverb, echo, delay, phase shift, and more) to musical notes generated by the different modules in my rack. I only have about $40 in this module including the effect setup, the front panel, and the IDC connector.

The LED display is hot glued in place. There was really no other way to mount it and it fit nicely. Here you can see that the whole build is no wider than the front panel now that the cables have been shortened.

The PCB is mounted at an angle so that everything fits in the width of the front panel when inserted in the rack.

9 Likes

Well it was a spur of the moment type design. Lol I still can’t believe I pulled off such an extravagant look on a spur the moment whim. I didn’t stop there, this is what it currently looks like. Overboard? Probably but, I love him that much.

7 Likes

@Lordrook taught us how to lathe a ring. Highly recommend.

16 Likes

did the second install for the greenhouse commission. 27" round and about 80 pieces.

and a bonus shot of the other mandala window with some good sunlight behind it

27 Likes

Truly a great piece of artwork and craftsmanship.

1 Like

Took resin ring turning with @Lordrook last night. Started with these Corian samples and ended up with a really beautiful ring. I would’ve never thought to turn something like this, but it came out really great. I love the innovative use of a fairly cheap material

10 Likes

Here are two more corian rings made in @Lordrook’s class last night. Thanks @Lordrook for the class.

It was a fun class and one I hope we repeat. He showed off a couple of nice tools for making rings, too. A man can never have too many tools.
@IanLee I support allowing @Lordrook purchasing a group of these tools (mandrels) for his ring class.

13 Likes

There was a big tile donation on the free shelf so I decided to finally fix my patio table. The grout and trim go on tomorrow.

20 Likes

Very nice Jimmy!

2 Likes

I made my first cutting board!

I am thrilled with how it came out, all things considered. I learned a lot and will do many things differently in the future, but isn’t that what it’s all about?

I can’t thank everyone who helped me out enough - I had a lot of questions throughout the process and the advice/input of many fantastic DMS members over the course of the weekend was truly invaluable.

May the next one(s) be even better!

22 Likes

In my experience it seems when we make something, all WE SEE are the flaws, mistakes, etc. Well done!

3 Likes

Below are the most newly trained blacksmiths on the induction forge, the cutoff saw, the hydraulic press and the KMG. We had a great class tonight. Everyone made a chisel or at least the start of one. The cutting end just needs to be heat treated, the indexes and the hammer end needs to have the facets put on some of them. @redklyde, Luke Hawkins, @badgertide, and @Matthew_Currey

All in all though I think everyone had a good time and enjoyed making their first chisel.

12 Likes