Show and Tell June 2020

I’ve made a couple of items from material from the leather sale.
1 - An ultrasuede bag with the sueded side facing in. I used French seams so the outside should be fairly weatherproof. I added some blue vegtan handles.

2 - A small leather case to hold my multimeter and its probes. I made the pouch up as I went along: I wish I had offset that vertical seam so the snap could have been placed more in the center.

11 Likes

I added filter material to a luchador mask for the next time I need to go grocery shopping.

10 Likes

Upgraded my Gameboy Advance I’ve had since high school with new shell, IPS LCD, and lipo usb-c battery.

12 Likes

Hello all!

My first project share. This was my surprise weekend project for my girlfriend (also a DMS member) that I built while she was on a vacation. Well, weekend build. The printing miiiight have started a little earlier.

It’s a mostly 3D printed equatorial mount called the Open Astro Tracker. An equatorial mount, or star tracker, compensates for Earth’s rotation by having one rotational axis parallel to the Earth’s axis of rotation to stay locked onto a fixed point in (literal) space for long exposures and is used for astrophotography. It was a really fun build!

As an aside, if anyone is selling an e-mount DSLR on the real cheap (<$100) I’d be interested. Looking for one to modify for this project.

There will be a few more changes. It’ll get mounted wiring and proper cases for the electronics (they won’t stay mounted to a 2x4") among a few other planned upgrades but I feel like it’s in a workable, and shareable, state now. A few photos of it coming together:

16 Likes

I made a dizi flute in the key of D.

Learned from this one. Next version I will try and make sure I don’t have to drill through a joint for one of the holes.

5 Likes

Last night after the Machine Shop committee meeting, it was noticed that the Bridgeport appeared to be out of tram. It was .006” out over 4”. Now its not, its pretty square.

13 Likes

Ceramic lamp, happy

days

15 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous! I’d like to make one for myself some day :slight_smile: Probably on a bit of a smaller scale though…

1 Like

Crap. Another item added to the endless list of stuff to print.

Very cool.

1 Like

You happen to remember if it was the same direction out as the last time it was out? I know we moved it, so that’s a new factor, but I seem to remember every six months or so we get some “drift” in the tram, and I’m wondering if it’s in the same direction and happening on its own.

Y axis this time instead of the X.

Light box / diffuser / reflector for photography!

made with thrift store lamps, tinfoil, cardboard, and 100 watt daytime led bulbs.

I followed a youtube tutorials shown here:

8 Likes

Very cool! I’m going to need to buy build one for Anette for all the pictures she’s taking for he tiki mug stuff!

1 Like

Finished another bolo tie. This one is silver and turquoise. I cut and polished the stone here late last year, the rest was done over the last 3 days.

13 Likes

Cool mask! Are those custom cabinet doors in the background?

They are! but actually they are needing a serious refurbishment. They are one of the first projects we did when I bought the house 16 years ago.

My first Kickstarter campaign! A textbook for engineering drawings! Perfect introduction for anyone wanting to read engineering drawings for fabrication!

5 Likes

So 2 tables i started pretty soon after to when the world started to end in April, and just finished putting the finishes on last week, ones soft maple and some really pretty figured bubinga(a personal top 3 favorite woods to work with) and the second is same soft maple with some cool figured walnut I had from a previous project

17 Likes

Well the dados for the T-track are cut and sanded… I had to hand sand every inch of the dados so the track fits perfectly…I actually sand my thumb print clean off and I am unable to unlock my iPad with my finger print now :joy::joy::joy: oh first world problems

4 Likes

Showing my table saw workstation some polyurethane love…

6 Likes