Show and Tell June 2020

I finished my paper piecing quilt!

Pattern here

I’m a slow quilter, but I like that with paper piecing I didn’t have to keep track of anything except how many blocks I’d done. I just kept everything in one project bin and came back to it between other projects. I think that this would be really easy for any beginner to do, and would be a great stash buster. I printed my blocks on velum and reduced my stitch length to 1.6 mm, which helped perforate the paper better and make it easier to peel off.

For the quilting stitches I just found some animal (fox, raccoon, owl, and bear) and tree blocks online and basically just printed them on vellum too so I could trace them with free motion quilting. This was actually my first time free motion quilting, and I made a TON of mistakes. But it turned out cute anyway. The little animals puff out a little due to the loft of the batting, which makes it look a little bit like stuffed animals are hidden in the quilt.

21 Likes

So the past couple days I have been doing an annual inspection on a Medium Voltage Drive. During that inspection I was checking balance resistors for any deviation, all were good however I found that many of the screws that had galvanic corrosion on the zinc. I put the screws back in but I had one in particular that I felt was too tight & I stopped. This afternoon I went to replace the screw, turns out my gut was right about it feeling too tight. The screw head sheared off while attempting to remove it.

So I took the bus bar off & took it to the Bridgeport. I faced the broken screw flat with an end mill.

I then centered up & spotted the center of the screw. I drilled out the screw with a number 29 drill bit & chased the threads with a 8-32 tap.

16 Likes

Saved 2 sets of garden bench legs and a glider from the landfill in the past 10ish years, finally getting around to making new slats, cypress. Was cutting tennons for the back of bench #2 tonight when the power went out in the middle of a cut, complete darkness as the saw coasted to a stop while I held the piece and reached for the stop switch. Quite an adrenaline rush. I’m also working on restoring a 1970 unisaw that I’m realizing will need to have a magnetic starter added.

17 Likes

having some custom stickers made and printed “Blow Me” concept came from @TBJK 's wife.

16 Likes

That sounds like a story.

3 Likes

A fun, at home project without access to the makerspace. I added a hidden door to my under stairs closet.

Had to invent my own jig for the Soss 216 hinges and build out the framing on the door to handle it. It was a lot of learning. The door is held in place with a maglock.

20 Likes

That’s an awesome build! More houses need hidden doors in my opinion!

2 Likes

And scooby doo rooms

1 Like

I finally finished My Resistor Storage project.

Details and plans can be found here:

9 Likes

Good write-up.

1 Like

Made a few glass beads on Sunday, and made them into a necklace today.

Here’s a close up

9 Likes

Hadn’t made a cutting board in a while. While not perfect alignment it was pretty good and butter smooth.

14 Likes

I have one just about like it, but with only 64 squares, that I made at DMS, but I use it to play chess. :grinning:

5 Likes

I bought a bunch of resin molds and started playing with coloring the resin and adding flowers! I have an addiction…this is about half of what I made this week. Still have to get better about removing bubbles.

9 Likes

Yay!!! I still have skills after quarantine :smiley:

14 Likes

Damn. (That was from Dad, btw. I have many of his turnings. He just drooled plasma over my shoulder.)

1 Like

IMG_2173

Honing in on my resin skills! Next step to work with wood + resin! Im a new kid here but excited to join this community of makers!

10 Likes

IMG_2119 Honing in on my resin skills! Next step to work with wood + resin! Im a new kid here but excited to join this community of makers!

9 Likes

Honing in on my resin skills! Next step to work with wood + resin! Im a new kid here but excited to join this community of makers!

14 Likes

Did another egg. This one has color changing base that switches between purple, grey and green in the sun. Am getting better.

13 Likes