Show and Tell January 2023

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or even outside of the 'Space) here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Got a non-book project underway for once.
I’ve printed out and mounted the Dolorian church mural from Disco Elysium.
Starting work on prototyping the internal pieces. Eventually the piece behind the lungs will be made of clear resin and I’ll be lighting it up from behind with an array of LEDs.
Eventually I want to put a walnut frame around it and engrave it with the church motto, but I’ll need to figure out how to make that happen. I’m no good with hand tools and I dont know how to use a CNC yet.

10 Likes

Working on a simple Quad Microphone Array for immersive audio. It is a dual ORTF setup with mic capsules spaced 17cm apart in four corners of a square. Used laser cut acrylic and 3D printed the capsule holders that slide on the acrylic.

13 Likes

My sister is in to cartonnage, and has made some beautiful things. She took the time yesterday to share an easy cartonnage project with my daughter and me. A “kiss box”, so called because it uses a kiss clasp hinge for the top (often seen on change purses of old).

Made from thick, non-corrugated cardboard, poster board, some wrapping paper, a couple of fat quarters of fabric, and some glue.

Fun project, and I’m pleased with the results, esp. for a first time.

16 Likes

Yet another remanufacter of the drum sander conveyor shaft. We did find out that the motor gear ruduction output shaft bearings were not in alignment. I haphazardly mounted the motor assembly to the Bridgeport & aligned the center. I line bored the so the axis’s were aligned to within a reasonable degree of accuracy.

Yep I cheated some instead of using a coaxial indicator, I used a proper sized gauge pin.

You can kinda see how much it was off in this picture.

I then remade the shafts from the last piece of 4140. Since failure was not an option, I drew it all out to make sure I would not hopefully make any mistakes.
The shafts had to me made in 2 pieces due to the drive dogs for the gear. I turned as much as possible in once setup to allow the concentricty to be as accurate as possible. I drilled the bore, then reamed to .250.

The second shaft I turned similarly to get all the features set as much as possible before mounting the 5C collet chuck & indicating the flipped shaft into perfect alignment.

I then moved to the Bridgeport with a collet block machined the keyway in the first shaft.

With that completed I moved to the second shaft to machine the dogs in with the 5C indexer.

I then pressed the 2 shafts together with loctite & pinned with a roll pin.

Then off to make the 2 different bushings. I removed the old bushing from the blind hole using the old trick of putting grease in the bore then using the old shaft to compress it out. The bushing were machined out of oillite stock. Then reamed the bores to the disired size to get the appropriate fit.

Then I re-assembled the case.

@got_tools, @Mrholthaus & myself reassembled the sander, then tested.

29 Likes

Nice. Wood shops need sanders.

Quick full little build

12 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Therapeutic Journaling

a decent QUALITY photo
Attached

a notation about WHAT you’ve made
Kintsugi Paper Mosaic - Mixed Media Journaling

WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
Kate Hughey, architect, artist, and author

HOW you’ve made it
Using paper, glue, scissors, and pen

and WHY
For therapeutic mental health purposes

8 Likes

Last weekends projects: bridal bouquet flowers dried for two weeks in silica and then preserved in resin. Resin was poured in four layers to prevent heat from the curing resin bruising the flowers.

Buckeye burl and matte black resin 30” diameter round. Sanded to 2500 grit and polished. Probably about 50 lbs.

27 Likes

Very beautiful work!

Thank you!

Pair of 3-axis bowls. Turned from quarter sawn walnut, finished with tung oil.

22 Likes

Made an LED light box that casts different colors on a textured art piece!
There are knobs on each side to control the hue, as well as buttons so that loved ones can save their favorite presets. I was interested in the idea of an art piece remembering its viewers, and this is what I came up with. Big shout out to John Fabrycki for helping me woodwork the frame!
Edit: not sure how to format all of the images properly, but you get the point :slight_smile:

16 Likes

this is awesome. curious what capsules your using?

I am using JLI2590’s they are great! I’ve been meaning to reach out to Digital Media too. I’ll send you a DM

1 Like

Guitar case for the guitar I made last summer. Articulating hinges and handle. Although it has a neck support inside the case, the neck support does not open up for storage. 3D printed on Mars 3 with post-printing finishing.

The Fusion 360 design to get the hinges right was probably the biggest challenge.

19 Likes

IMG_2003
I had two of these tables outside. A few years ago one of the plates broke.

So I took some classes, and produced…

IMG_2006

Replatements.

18 Likes

Thanks to @Monikat and @j801496 for the classes and guidance.

1 Like