Show and Tell February 2024

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

Made a couple of dye sub shirts

Made a graphic for all the departments. If you want the graphic for your department, DM me & I’ll send it to you just for being a DMS member.

18 Likes

So excited! After years of effort (literally), I have completed what I’m calling Wooden Brushstroke. It is a recreation based on Lichtenstein’s Brushstroke (‘Brushstroke‘, Roy Lichtenstein, 1965 | Tate). I love his work and wanted to do this multiple layer version. Mine was cut using laser and has four layers. Plan had been to hang in my office, but it got upgraded to family room! (Thanks Susan!)

29 Likes

@Anette_Henningson and I did a glass blowing class in Hollywood Florida last week. The place is called Hollywood hot glass and they have a really awesome setup.
I made a bubble bowl

Anette made a jellyfish

20 Likes

Valentine tulip flower candle holder forged for my wife. We started dating in the Netherlands 30+ years ago, and tulips have always been special to us.

Flower blank and round base were both plasma-cut at DMS. Forged at my blacksmith setup at home in the Rockies (hence the snow- high was 25 today).

Here’s some WIP shots:

24 Likes

Awesome job Mike. Beautiful work.

2 Likes

Nice job! I really like that candle holder! :grin:

1 Like

This is my contraption for vacuum-bagging composites parts. In the future, it could be used to automate various processes. Right now, it just displays the vacuum pressure onto a screen, which is useful for finding leaks. It also has on/off buttons for the pump. I made some progress on a steel box, which took me a long time to machine. After I moved the electronics into the box, I figured out that the EM interference was caused by a solenoid, and not the pump. Once I removed the solenoid, everything else worked fine.

This is a steel shop table, which is the maximum size that will fit in my SUV. I have to move the seat forward to get the trunk to latch, but it’s worth it. It’s big enough to support a full 8’ by 4’ sheet.

Here are some steel corner brackets for 2020 extrusions. I downloaded a product brochure from 80/20 Inc. and adjusted the hole spacing slightly to accommodate a ratcheting, retractable leveling caster. I don’t currently need a ratcheting, retracting leveling caster facing sideways at knee-level, but you never know. It’s best to be prepared.

This is a foam organizer for my screwdriver set. I made a separate CAD model for each individual screwdriver, and they have to go into the correct slot. Luckily I only have to use one or two at a time.

14 Likes

Ever wanted to just hand roll paint onto a car? We had the urge. We also got it running on our generously donated mega squirt @mrjimmy. If you want to learn how to tune in a standalone, come down on Thursdays and learn with us.

15 Likes

Not Sponsored by Pepto Bismol…

4 Likes

But should be, both for the color and effect on the viewer :wink:

3 Likes

That will help with the speed!

1 Like

simple 18” round side table made with buckeye burl, deep cast resin, and metal base.

Wedding flowers dried for two weeks and then preserved in resin:

23 Likes

Turned a piece of firewood into a nicer looking piece of firewood.

Walnut pith off-cut. It’s already cracking, but wanted to try turning an offset bowl. ~10"x2"

15 Likes

I’ve been using the hot glass section to try my hand at making Vacuume tubes, starting with simple incandescent light bulbs. I’d like to see if I can hand make an entire audio amplifier.

17 Likes

Some results from the 4 color screen printing class:

18 Likes

Breakdown on making improvements in the prints from class.

8 Likes

Clamping cauls for gluing up flat wood panels for cutting boards.

10 feet of 12 ga Superstrut A, cut in 4 pieces.(14 ga Superstrut B would likely have been fine.)
4 5” 1/2” bolts
4 hex nuts (to hold the bolt captive on one side)
4 wing nuts

I 3D printed some plastic end caps to cover the ends.

Quick and easy project. The Superstrut is very sturdy. Worked out to about $45 for the pair.

10 Likes

@Anette_Henningson and I took @Jcastanon gelli print class tonight. It was a lot of fun!

11 Likes