Show and Tell February 2023

As with most blacksmithing tools, punches, chisels, and knife steels heat treatment is an essential. I still like the idea of smithing the divots the way Mike suggests with a ball bearing.

I just put them up on Thingiverse, but they are somewhat specific to the particular spools I have - no guarantee they’ll work for others. The spools I have are 55 mm across and 17 mm between the rims. I suppose one could scale my collars up/down as needed.

3 Likes

I can see doing something like this, but powered off 2 or 3 Makita battery shoes. Somehow figure out how to power off one, with the others as backup and rotate through.

Cool! Is Stewart still active with 1745?

I may not have been clear, my box runs off of AC line power - not batteries. By mobile, I meant transportable.

This entire thing was awesome but if I were doing it for a living, I’d stabilize the wood with impregnated resin to keep everything smooth and plastic.

What a great accomplishment for you! You nailed this perfectly, and is what we’ve come to expect from you :wink:

1 Like

From last years Steam Roller Printmaking event. We printed on paper and some of us did fabric.

11 Likes

but can you play them?.. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Only if I play The Sounds of Silence …

8 Likes

I replaced my CCFL bulb for the backlight of my DRO LCD. I took 2 shots to get the right bulb but im happy about the results.
The old one.

New one installed

Fully back together including 1 day of burn in.

10 Likes

I sent my Milling machine pulley out last Wednesday to be hard anodized, It showed up Friday afternoon, I couldn’t help myself. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve, I went to the space yesterday/today to finish machining it. As a refresher here is a before anodizing

This is what it looked like before final machining

I then chucked it up in the shark lathe with the independent 4 jaw chuck, trued it within about .00025”. I then bored the center for the shaft to 1.8001”

Well wouldn’t you know it, we didn’t have the right side pilot bushing for broaching the keyway. So I made one from some 2” stock on the lathe & Bridgeport.

Broaching on the arbor press

And the final pulley

15 Likes

Tim you are the ultimate DIY guy. I am always incredibly impressed with your skills, abilities and can do attitude. You are a huge asset to DMS! Thanks for all that you do!

2 Likes

First day as a member. Showed up to hang out in the blacksmith shop, and I really appreciate @jbrown885 taking the time to walk me through the basics. Had a great time at the potluck too. Such an awesome community, excited to be a part of it.

12 Likes

Welcome to DMS!

1 Like

Welcome to DMS! It was great to see you at the potluck. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Now that’s a knife!” :–)

Nice work…very cool look-n-feel to it!.

1 Like

I made a hat! Learned a lot in the process and can’t wait to correct the mistakes for the next. 1st is I want to avoid any hand stitching I can in the future, so if anyone could give me some help on learning the leather sewing machine it would be extremely appreciated! I am also looking for training on the epilog laser machine, and some experts on leather craft with input on processing the leather would be splendid.

Imgur link:

22 Likes

I saw your test when you were working on it (I’m the short woman with the long hair). This turned out absolutely awesome! It’s beautiful. What a treasure!

1 Like

That is amazing!

1 Like

Frivolous little laser (rotary) project, plus some work on my Taig lathe (miniature rolling pin). The roller rotates on the shaft.

As I was drilling to install the mechanism, I thought how easy it would be to make custom beads with names, images, sayings, etc. This other post describes the details of how to engrave a small diameter item on the Fusion.

13 Likes