Show and Tell December 2023

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything. From a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more, we want to share! There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a QUALITY photo
  • a note about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
1 Like

Making Christmas presents.

28 Likes

This turned out great, man!

2 Likes

image0

Finally got my ash coffee table (30x60") finished! Appreciate all the help from you nice folks (John, Rayen, etc) who made my first DMS project a blast. Looking forward to the next project!

24 Likes

17 Likes

Very nice work!

2 Likes

Very beautiful table. Great work especially for a first project. How many board feet are there in the table? Is it entirely ash?

1 Like

Thank you! It is all ash, and based on the cost I think it was in the 45 board foot range maybe. Maybe a hair less.

Looks awesome. That grain poped nicely.

Edit: welcome to the community! Glad you’re here.

1 Like

I made a quick trophy for a kart race this weekend.

23 Likes

From a long time woodworker… That is a great first project! Hard work pays off!

2 Likes

rn_image_picker_lib_temp_bb72b2c6-bf9f-434d-b0d7-5a23003bbaa6
rn_image_picker_lib_temp_45dbb422-056c-4826-ad48-48a88ebe9a7a

Learning sand casting. Here is my first good piece! Its Pot of Greed from Yu-Gi-Oh 3D printed from a free .stl file from thingiverse.com. The print was then molded in petrobond sand and casted with pewter. I drilled a hole in the back to make it a necklace piece.

21 Likes

Wow!!! thats great woodworking skills. Someone will be thrilled this Christmas.

Did a home experimental Raku fire Saturday morning with copper glaze and blue glass. On a giant wheel thrown vase.

20 Likes

Co-Hosted a Raku party Saturday night, food, wine, friends, and fire. It’s always great to get together with my art buddies! Handmade plate and bowl. Slip cast a. I’m really happy with how these turned out.

17 Likes

@mreynolds taught a great class on making polymer clay canes, targeted for pen kits. We made skinner blends and various canes then applied them onto brass tubes for pens (or, in my case, a seam ripper). After baking the clay on the tube, all that remained was a little sanding while spinning on the lathe and assembling the seam ripper (or pen) kit.

Admittedly my cane is a little more complex than some of the others because, well, you know me.

Lots of fun!

EDIT: I’d like to point out that this technique is a great way for someone who doesn’t have lathe skills to make a pen or a seam ripper because the only thing done on the lathe was sanding.

20 Likes

I have been teaching glass implosion pendants in our new lampworking area.

Some examples:

20 Likes

These are fantastic! What are the prerequisites to taking this class?

Just the glass beads 101 course by Megan.

1 Like