Show and Tell August 2023

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).
:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

Well…we’re just getting started, but this F350 Ambulance is going to be converted into an off grid camper…when it’s done, we will go into the wild to never return. :crazy_face:
We just took our first MIG welding class and will be acquiring as much knowledge and practice as possible so we can get through part of stage 1: Raising the roof and extending the box/chasis. Whaaaaat? Yep, that’s right.
DMS, Jace and @carolnd2000 are going to be BFFs.
We will see you around, stop by and say hello when you see us :slight_smile:

14 Likes

The veneer of my desk was starting to peel off, so I made a butcher’s block table top desk using my old desk’s standing desk frame. This was my first woodworking project that wasn’t part of a class. I want to document my progress as a maker, so I made a video of the build. This wouldn’t have been possible without the DMS community! Thank you!

30 Likes

I love the video. Excellent work for a beginner woodworker. Isn’t it satisfying to make something so beautiful and useful with your own hands? Thanks for making the video. It is very inspiring to others.

2 Likes

Great work Jackie! Really enjoyed the video too.

1 Like

Do or do not, there is no try!

You totally made a freaking table, great job and great video!

(metric is totally better :smiley: )

2 Likes

I entered the Makers Challenge Central Builders Challenge Season 15 - a cutoff challenge (https://makerschallengecentral.com/). I made 2.5 projects for today’s deadline:

1. A mid-century modern clock with a walnut face, maple and cherry accents and stainless steel rods. Finished, of course, with @walrusoil’s fantastic Furniture Maker’s Kit. I love the way the finish helps the natural character of the woods really pop - the grain and features of the wood make the piece!

2. An aromatic red cedar chest for my parent’s porch to hold the charcoal and grilling supplies. It was an absolute blast to make this 100% cedar piece with my dad, and I love the way it matches their 1950s brick. I’m thrilled with the @rockler_woodworking hinges - nobody needs to worry about smashed fingers! Finished by Mother Nature herself, I love the way that cedar interacts with the elements outdoors!

2.5: What do you do when your cutoff project has cutoffs? Make a jenga set!

26 Likes

Made another wallet.

20 Likes

What’s in your wallet? (Capital One, obviously…). :–)

Nice work (as alwasy).

2 Likes

I used to work there so still on brand… for now.

1 Like

Catnip Planter
Idea → Fusion360 Design → Mold Design → 3D Printed Plastic Mold → Plaster Mold → Slipcast → Bisque → Glaze → Catnip

Learned a lot from that one, TY DMS!

31 Likes

I love your project, but I don’t think I could have been that patient. Thanks for sharing!

Steve

Howdy all so as some know and others not I enjoy making blades! As far as what I’ve been working on at makerspace it has been more than just blades. As far as finished pieces this is something I finished up today and would love to show yall
! Took me lots of work in the blacksmith shop as well as the machine shop. Learned tons from making this one hope y’all like it as much as I do.

24 Likes

Very very nice. Awesome job.

1 Like

Absolutely love this, both the table and the video composition. Job well done on both

1 Like

This was technically challenging, which was my sole motivation for making it. I love a good curve; the only straight piece on the entire chair is the brass weight I recessed under the seat to fine tune the center of gravity. Gotta love that Fusion 360 center of mass modeling!

Lots of jigs and fixtures - mostly made at DMS on laser or Woodshop (the bending fixtures). Yes - I use toothpicks for precision layer alignment in my fixtures :laughing:

26 Likes

Very cool, miniature furniture making was’t even on my list of possible yet!

2 Likes

Plaques for a bowling tournament I compete in. Dye sub transfers printed at home. Pressed at the ‘Space. The final picture shows the color shift from print to press.

19 Likes

I’ve been in a slump the last little bit, but I managed to finish a project recently. Played around with marbled leather and half-leather binding and I think I like the result

21 Likes