Show and Tell August 2020

Very clean work!

2 Likes

I have a ditch on my new property in Colorado which was used as a dump for old fencing (as erosion control, perhaps?).

I’m trying to pull it out and get rid of it. I tried using a hay hook to pull the wire with a winch, but straightened out the hook.

I was able to reforge the hay hook without issue, and forged this beefy 3/4” square stock snatch hook to use instead. It’s working well.

8 Likes

Ouch! I hope you can get it all, or that any stragglers stay clear of tires.

Too cool! Very nicely done. I want to see a photo of you, @apparently_weird and @mdittenber all together, wearing your masks.

1 Like

I should have laser file and be over there to cut Saturday.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I’ll most likely be there Friday. This weekend is out for me.

1 Like

I haven’t even cut mine yet. Lol. Gimmie a week.

2 Likes

Or so…
and blah, blah, blah

2 Likes

I 3D printed one a while back. No a mask per se. but …

7 Likes

Made some fun 3D printed hanging lanterns for the gazebo in the back.

20 Likes

Speaking of making masks. Made in my home shop because I’m still distancing.

1 large Crown Royal bag (no dice were displaced in the making of this mask)
2 layers of cotton for a total of 3 layers of cloth.
Alumium nose bridge insert.
Paracord strap for comfort adjustment with a sliding cable lock.

15 Likes

I slip casted a ceramic bowl last year and taught a few slip casting classes for DMS Ceramics. Slip casting is the process of pouring a special slip (watered down clay with other compounds) into a plaster mold. You wait until the slip dries and hardens, thus turning the gray shiny color into a gray matte color. You know it’s ready when it pulls away from the sides of the mold, after that, you can remove the rubber bands that hold the mold together and remove the piece. Slip casting allows you to make multiple consistent pieces.

It was glazed with 3 coats of a Potter’s Choice blue glaze (can’t remember) and globs of Amaco Potter’s Choice oatmeal on the top of the rim.

The bowl was used in a photoshoot for family meal packages for Bar Louie. It’s holding the donut poppers with a blue ceramic plate under it.

I’m not a super talented ceramic hobbyist and have seen way more talent in DMS ceramics but this photo shows the possibilities.

19 Likes

That’s awesome!

2 Likes

If you’ve seen 30 copies of the same cup on the ceramics shelves, that’s me. I typically use colored slip and leave the outside unglazed, but I don’t like the off white of the Trinity casting slip, so I’ve been messing with textures and glazes.

My favorite combination is ancient jasper over blue rutile.

21 Likes

9 Likes

How do you make colored slip?

Just throw in some mason stain.

2 Likes

Mice work T please consider teaching at DMS again.

4 Likes

Once it’s safe to do so. I’ve got a couple of family members with fragile immune systems, so I’ve got to be a bit more careful with my interactions.

7 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed my new Ender 3 Pro. I’ve bought every conceivable kind of filament for the darn thing. There are filaments I didn’t even know existed such as carbon fiber filament.

This is my most recent print.

It is a letter cryptex. I printed it in wood filament and then touched it up with Rub n Buff.

There are two colors on the print a Spanish copper and an antique gold. The desired effect was to make it look like it had been unearthed recently but was ancient gold originally. (My son’s idea)

Here are the pictures. I think it turned out pretty well. Took right at 3 days to print. Lots of work after the fact, too, but it was a lot of fun.

16 Likes