Sherline tool status

yes we will get spares. the scroll chuck tommy bars are round and will likely roll off the table in someplace we can’t reach. It’s written into the Murphy laws.

Nick and I were talking, we’ll probably tack (truly “tack” some @TBJK wouldn’t be interested in doing this) weld on a 1/8" metal rod along the outside edge to help keep things from rolling off, small enough that it won’t bother the wrist or forearm but just enough to stop most small things from rolling off.

1 Like

If @TBJK isn’t interested tacking might be up my alley :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sure he’d be interested - but Tack and Structural weldments are almost synonyms for Tim. :grin:

@nicksilva If you want I’ll order some .125’ rod in 8’ lengths so somebody can tack these on. Does anyone think a bigger “lip” is needed?

yes, please. I canna order yet.

A bead along the edge would make it harder to clean off metal chips with a brush, would have to always use the vacuum.

How about using a rubber strip similar to what is on the metal edge of the blue cart next to the Colchester. I know, I know…there is no welding involved so this idea will most likely go nowhere.

2 Likes

Nick, this may be a solution also.

David,

I just got a text from a friend of mine, Ron Dorst, that is back on the Sherline’s right now spinning some metal. He is training another person, Jimmie. Ron has the complete Sherline setup at his house and would make a great instructor.

@nicksilva Was it your intent that these be put into service before they were really even tested out? If Ron is teaching someone on this they will now believe they having the right use. I thought this was to be a Training Required Tool?

Nothing against the person teaching - but it appears these are viewed as “Oh cool, a new tool to play with, oh and I’ll show others how to use so they can play on it.”

Ron Dorst is the best person around that really knows how to make these machines sing. I would not hinder his efforts, instead I would use this advantage to get some pictures of the units in operation to help drum up support. Try to enlist Ron as an instructor.

They were listed as operational with the tool caveat that it still “Needs Review by Tool Expert”.
In other words, those that are going to be the teachers/mentors can begin learning for the purposes of demoing and developing class materials. also stated that not for general use. someone afterall, has to become the in-house expert.

I will have some left over engravable plastic from a job today, and I will be making up some TRAINING REQUIRED (upon penalty of death or something) signs for our various tools. I will make up one with a NOT FOR GENERAL USE YET or TRAINERS ONLY message.

1 Like

I sure would like to be trained on metal spinning …

1 Like

I believe he means machining some stock. @John_Marlow. I was back there a bit ago taking the coolant back. That’s when I noticed the Sherline lathe being used.

@photomancer David, it slipped my mind that you did volunteer to head up the Sherline team for now, so in that spirit, if you would prefer to have the tools completely offline for now it is your call. we can update the status board. but we still need some guidelines for those who want to become mentors so they can have access. For instance, I had planned to be there this weekend doing some testing and demo to anyone who wants to watch. cheers!

Actually, I volunteered for Cold Saw. I’ve never used a Sherline and I’m hardly qualified to teach it. Could probably figure it out as they are small versions of the bigger tools.

Someone asked me just after we set them up if they could used, I replied they were training required and we hadn’t even tested them. At not at the Space and won’t be until tomorrow.

Hopefully they no damage will be done.

If Ron is qualified, as you stated he is, and is willing to be and instructor and hopefully develop the instruction materials that would great!

But I’ve seen people at the Space say “I’ve been using these for years” … but really should have said “Hold my beer, watch this.”

@nicksilva Let @StanSimmons know Ron Dorst, @richmeyer, @wandrson @John_Marlow and whoever else are authorized user and any others that group may believe are qualified. There is already a AD Directory set up for this tool for authorized users. The same four could be qualified instructors - another AD Directory Stan created.

But until there is at least a syllabus created for instruction and rules as to materials, maximum sizes based on materials, allowable lubricants, etc. then we should hold off using. This is a priority to get done - I’ll gladly met with anyone this weekend to help create the materials - just need to know what to put in it. We can immediately have some train the trainer classes and get these going.

Might be wise to start entering classes onto the schedule so classes can begin immediately to show up on the calendar. It would take much for me do a couple Sherline mill classes a couple times a week over the next month.

We would suggest we order some 6061 aluminum bar stock, say 1.000" x 3.0" x 144" ($145 Discount Steel) that can be cut up into 36 small blocks ~ 4" inches long. That would yield 36 pieces and each student could have one, a $5 class fee would get them a piece of material to work with (about $4) and the extra $1 can go towards buying cutters, etc. for the machine.

For the Lathe 6061 1.500" x 144" is $83, these could be cut into 6" lengths at a cost $3.45 for materials, the rest towards tooling. Extra money buys more tooling.

I like the idea of the student getting a piece of practice material (we do this on the Bridgeport (and aluminum block) and lathe (piece of brass) with material I’ve donated and $5 for a class where most of that is materials seems very reasonable and Aluminum is a very forgiving material to start learning on. The size of the material is large enough to make a small project (or attempt one).

OOPS! sorry, got some rush jobs that are scattering my mind.

Let’s order some bigger round bar stock. I want to make one of these for my home lathe:

sorry, we’re not in the business of supplying people’s home projects. We don’t have consumables except for some class materials. there are plenty of metal suppliers listed in the wiki.
Now if you had said you wanted to make one for the machine shop - we’ll talk.

3 Likes

I guess you totally missed this…