Sherline tool status

The Sherline lathe and mill with the DROs have been marked as OPERATIONAL but still requiring Review by Tool Expert, That means our potential teachers can begin getting acquainted with it but not yet open for general use. Potential teachers and Special Interest members who wish to take on the care and feeding of the sherlines should send me their interest so we can form the TEAM_SHERLINE. thanks.

3 Likes

I would be interested in helping with the care and feeding of the sherline tools.

1 Like

@bill Gee We’ve stolen/borrowed one of your power strips to test the Sherlines. I’ll be getting Machine Shop a new one - please don’t think we’ve absconded (permanently anyway). Will have a replacement tomorrow.

1 Like

Now that Team_New_Lathe is done sign me up please!

I’ll be glad to help in any way I can.

+1 please! :blankspace:

1 Like

What is the capacity(max stock sizes) of the sherlines? I didn’t see a link to a manual on the machine shop wiki

I believe the 3 jaw is a 3" chuck. the 4 jaw has a capacity between 2.5" and 3" depending on whether it is round or square stock. the manual/guide hasn’t been scanned in yet, but I’ll see if I can find a link to an online PDF

1 Like

here is a first link to all the accessory instructions:
accessory instructions

3 Likes

Also, the Machine Shop Committee voted prior to buying these machines to limit the size of material to less than the maximum for metals. Anything over 2" in diameter is to be done on the Clausing Colchester not the bench-top machines.

One of the main reasons for buying the Sherlines was to handle SMALL pieces of material, the larger machines can easily chuck them and it will not strain smaller machines.

5 Likes

here we all are - on this thing in the middle of the night. what the heck is wrong with us? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

The 4-Jaw independent chuck (#1030) has the following capacity:

• With jaws in normal position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 1-3/16″ (30mm)
  • With jaws in reverse position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 2-1/4″ (56mm)
  • The hole through the chuck is .687" (17 mm) - but the hole through the spindle is 0.405" (10mm)

The 3-jaw centering (scrolling) chuck (#1040) has the following capacity:

• With jaws in normal position: 3/32" (2 mm) up to 1-1/2" (38 mm)
  • With jaws in reverse position: 3/32″ (2mm) – 2-3/4″ (70mm)
  • The hole through the chuck is .687" (17 mm) - but the hole through the spindle is 0.405" (10mm)

I’ll post the info to the tools overview page including link to the manual (such that it is).

I’d like to add that reversing the chuck jaws isn’t the easiest thing to do. The user needs to plan enough time to return the jaws to the “normal position” if he/she reverses them.

5 Likes

So I guess you will not be engraving a plaque stating, “Power by Classroom Committee.”

Is that an offer to keep the power strip I’m hearing? If so, Machine Shop thanks you for your generosity. I’ll make the plaque.

1 Like

I guess, seeing that I raided your cabinets for nuts to repair some of our tables…

1 Like

That’s all “Free Stock” … donations are accepted" Cash, e-payments, bit-coin, power-strips. It’s all good.

2 Likes

Done. Main tools overview page, Machine Shop section. It has links to specifications and the manual (note that all the Sherline tools share the same manual).

I also created pages for the Sherline lathe and Sherline mill. These are also linked from the main Machine Shop page. I linked to the accessories that I know that we have. It took me longer than I anticipated so I kinda fizzled out. Feel free to add, correct, etc.

Each page has a (still-to-be-written) section at the top called Operation. IMO, this is where we would list restrictions (like no wood, no stock greater than 2", or whatever). It would also include particulars about the condition to which the machine needs to be returned. For instance, on the lathe, if you reverse the chuck jaws you need to return them to the “normal” position. I need help writing this ('cuz I don’t know what it should say). Feel free to edit the wiki. If you’re not comfortable with your wiki-editing skills, PM me with what you think it should say and I’ll do the edit.

Also - David - @Photomancer - did we order the lathe threading kit? I will add it to the lathe accessories if we did.

4 Likes

it not, it will certainly be high on the list - just as soon as we make sure the budget supports it. I’ve got some HAAS classes coming up which will bring in a few shekels for the committee. But I want to make sure all these things don’t end up as personal play toys. I want to see some classes. share the wealth (knowledge).

But, don’t get me wrong - I wanna play big time!

1 Like

Note: to self; Do this in next 24 hrs, going ahead and write it, I’ll copy you the PO so it can be posted.

1 Like

Please also order two Tommy bars as spares - item number 40580. Here is the link. They are only 65 cents each - since we’re going to pay shipping on the threading attachment, may as well get the spare Tommy bars.

Also, please get at least one spare belt, item number 40040. Here is the link for the belt. It is $8.75.