Sherline lathe tail stock is broken

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Someone seems to have broken or stripped the tailstock on the Sherline lathe.
I see it wasn’t reported. I will check the cameras later and find out who.
I will mark the lathe as degraded since the head stock is still operational for some tasks.

8 Likes

looks like the same person left us this gem- our #5 center drill with both tips broken. Didn’t report it, just left it broken on the table. I see it on the video.I see no malicious intent other than just bad habit. At no time during the entire session did I see any cutting fluid used while drilling. And the oil pot was sitting next to his hand. it is infuriating that you can’t simply let someone know and just leave it for someone else. You need to retake the class again (if you took it at all).

2 Likes

If you can see who it is, it’ll be easy to see if they have taken class because all of those were covered by the attendance records for the class. If they haven’t, then that needs to be addressed. Those tools are clearly marked TRAINING REQUIRED

Number five is a very large center drill. That should have been very difficult to break.

2 Likes

yes. I agree. I think, that one half of that was already broken. vague memory, but I drink so there.
There is still one available to the machine shop in the the cabinet. We’ll replace it as this is a consumable as far as the machine shop goes.

What’s size, can order a couple more as backups. Which, if people would tell us it’s broken we would do anyway and is why we want to know.

It is a #5 center drill. I had added a spare #2 and #3 which often get lost/broken.

I sat up in bed last night remembering…I started to try to disassemble the tail stock on the Sherline Sunday 2-11 in effort to repair. I became distracted, and never came back to complete the project or put tools away. I will try to get back there later today to continue or pick up my mess.

1 Like

I worked on that a few weeks ago myself. What was it doing?

Totally bound up. Tail stock would not move in or retract when rotating the handle. In fact the handle came off when I was attempting to do so. Upon inspection, I saw the shaft was pushed up into the hole so far the handle’s set screw had nothing to bite into.

So no luck with it? Perhaps I can look at it today.

It’s becoming obvious that people:

1. either don’t give a shit about our equipment
  2. it’s not covered thoroughly enough in training {ex. step one don’t break the equipment}
  3. a mixture of both

I owned a small format lathe and never broke the parts of the lathe itself. Now tooling does wear out or break but damn what kinda of ham fisted people are using the tools?

I just checked it out and it is functional.

2 Likes

I also looked at it earlier today. Was working smoothly as far as I could see.

2 Likes

LOL… I guess that would be a times 3. I just looked at it.

2 Likes

Sweeet!