Sheetcam - smallest machineable hole?

Does anytime know what is the smallest size hole that SheetCam can program for the plasma table? 2mm is too small but I really just want the smalles hole so I can machine the hole to precise size post-cutting. Thanks.

For running the hole operation,I think I’ve gotten 1/8 sized reliably in 10 gauge steel, but I find the arc wanders and causes it to be inaccurate.

Another downside is, the dross from the cut dulls drill bits, but not sure for cobalt.

I find running the hole operation at a much thinner gauge, just so it blasts a quick arc and leaves a small crater, easier. That works as a “center punch”

Can’t you just run a “marking” layer?

I didn’t know such a thing existed. Is that in the “jet” operation of sheetcam?

Dunno, have just seen it as an option in the operations.

1 Like

I was able to do them down to 0.135” by reducing the lead in to 0.100. Seems like it should be able to do it with just an on-off of the torch. I’ll check out the jet function next time but I’d be concerned about the accuracy of that, as at least a small hole should be dimensional on the outer cut for use to guide the next drilling operation…

1 Like

If you want a precise hole milling or drilling by locating off an edge would be a better option, I hate drilling through dross because its tough on the bit.

You could use the same vector file and laser cut a template to mark your hole locations.

I’m hoping to get the metalshop drill press back together tonight, if not it should be done Saturday

2 Likes

One downside of plasma cutting rough holes that will later get machined to final dimensions is that the plasma cutter can harden the metal around the cut from the heat. I know this is an issue with thicker material like plate steel. Might not be as much of an issue with thin sheet metal.

I am currently designing a bunch of parts for several projects where I will need to plasma cut holes or adjustable slots on brackets to mount stuff. Some of my holes will need to be drilled and tapped where precision matters and hardening of the material might be an issue but others I can have some tolerance and a plasma cut hole will be fine. Will be cutting my projects on my Langmuir personal plasma table once I get the settings dialed in for Sheetcam for my home workshop setup.

1 Like

Yeah, or I could just print the file on paper and glue the paper to the metal and mark it the old-fashioned way. This was 14 gauge aluminum so I’m guessing/hoping that the dross won’t be too tough on the step drill…

Or run it on the Shapeoko XL

With no oil.

That’s a good idea. Guess I need Shapeoko training…

Another option is laser cut like from sendcutsend.com