Shapoko xl interest

I hear by express my extreme interest in the shapoko.:grin: I have never used a cnc or any other “software operated machine”. I do however, have a good understanding of how mechanical things work in general, and I am enthusiastic to learn. I am offering my time/money to set up and learn.

Thank you

5 Likes

Ditto. Ditto

1 Like

unless they are still waiting on building the enclosure it was set to go.
While I am not teaching for DMS I did submit a slide deck for a teach the teachers class several months back.

2 Likes

Nick,

Thanks for doing that. Myself, I am in the process of developing some Fusion360 CAM knowledge and applying this to operate the cnc sherline lathe. Likely will expand to learn the Shapoko subsequently.

Regards,
Bob

1 Like

Just curious,(possible nube question)would it not be better to use solidworks, seeing as how we get a full version, and fusion just removed features for the free version?

SW by itself is a CAD product. You have to have SOLIDWORKS CAM (add on product) to do the CAM (i.e. create gcode). Don’t know the cost. SW says SWCAM standard will be included free in future subscriptions so I don’t know where that stands.

There is a good chance that VCarve will drive the machine. If t does, the learning curve is about 15% of a full 3D CAD program. Plenty of members have learned to create MultiCam design files(dxf) using VCarve, they just can’t seem to figure out max depth for the cutter.

VCarve is on the Jump Drive but might require MultiCam access rights. If it does work, it will help a lot more people gain access to the tool. Basic features can be taught in a couple of hours.

1 Like

@nicksilva and @jason_hunt and @TBJK

Per machine shop meetings notes, that I just posted a week late, …Tim is going to send me the drawing for the enclosure and I am going to go through and get the BOM for the 80/20 buy. We stated that it was already approved we just needed to get the details together and place the order. It needs to have an enclosure prior to classes etc so we can work through the specifics.

Thanks,
Thomas

When I was given a serial for SW there was one for the CAM add on as well. I don’t think the free version of 360 has it, though I am not certain. Just worried about trying to learn several different programs, and witch one is useful for witch equipment? I will look into VCarve as well. Thank you

The free version of Fusion360 still has CAM but they limit the post processor to 3axis machines without tool changes (I guess to only be used on hobby machines), also I think they disable rapids or something. It’s still usable but at that point, I might as well use VCarve since we have that license.

yes there should be a VC post processor for the Shakeepoo machines.