Shapeko 3 Question

Howdy Kevin!

Can the Shapeko mill EVA foam? If yes, what would be the thinnest material that it could cleanly mill?

The reason for the question is that I took a class on Bisque foam ceramics. They cut out (with exacto or scissors) by hand the templates from EVA crafting foam. Since I am not a true artist like the ladies in the class I was wondering if I could route the patterns instead.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,
Michael Tebrinke

1 Like

Google “shapeoko eva foam” for a lot of links, text and video, on this topic. I think the key to success will be for you to purchase your own endmill optimized for that task and take good care of it.

1 Like

Yes it will but you need a very sharp end mill with the correct profile . Amazon is your friend . We do. It have Eva foam endlmills among our tooling collection . I will try to get one .

2 Likes

I just saw jay’s response . He is as usual 100% correct .

Thank you both!

I will look on Amazon and get the end mill.

Thank you again!

Please keep in mind that if you plan to route all the way through the foam (or anything else) you need to provide your own “spoilboard” so the end mill doesn’t damage the “table top” of the shapeoko.

2 Likes

Thank you John. Understood.

2 Likes

Would i want a up cut or a down cut bit?

And is there a certain diameter shank size i need to get?

Also, are we allowed to cut porcelain on the plastics Shapeko?

Thank you!

Porcelain whats? Tiles?

Yes porcelain tiles.

Usually you want a wet cut when you’re cutting porcelain, or any tiles.

Although, were you thinking an actual cut? or just drag-engraving?

So i am trying to combine two different activities i have recently learned here at the Space.

I took a great class on making Bisque plates using craft foam.

They use the thin craft foam as a template to first make an interior 1/4 inch center piece that you will later use as a press on the actual clay piece that will be your plate.

Unfortunately for me my scissor and exacto cutting is not near as good as the ladies in my class.

I was thinking i could use the Shapeko to 1) cut out my foam templates and then 2) skip the making interior clay piece by routing out a porcelain piece that would be my center press piece.

Using the Shapeko would allow for extremely accurate and repeatable patterns.

And i just kind of want to use the Shapeko, lol.

Anyway, that is why i was asking the questions.

I do still need to know if i am buying a cutter for foam, would it be better to get an up or down cut bit.

Thank you!
Michael

Upcut bits are better for Foam. We do not allow wet or lubricated processes on the shapeoko because the bed is made of mdf. Porcelain cutting is a no go for that reason.

Ok, thank you.

There is a mill in glass works for wet cutting.

1 Like

Awesome!

Is there a class i need to take to use it?

Or contact i can get with?

Thank you!

Ummm… what exactly are you referring to in Glassworks as a “mill”?

They have an old diy CNC sitting in their area. Someone from that team will need to comment further.

Ah. @Vincent then. Or maybe @PearceDunlap.

Although, it’s probably a much more straightforward process to make the templates, make the clay thing and fire it. Trying to carve fired porcelain is going to be a bit crazy.

2 Likes