Sewing Machine Permissions?

I’d like to gain permission to use the domestic sewing machines & serger.
I would also like to be able to teach others to use those machines.
The wiki states this is a one-on-one thing.

Babylock Zest
Pfaff 130
Brother 1034d

I have a 1034d at home, several vintage singers of the same era as the pfaff (working on vintage machines has been my covid hobby), and I’ve sewn on modern machines. I’m reading the basic manuals on all of them now, so hopefully I’ll be able to set up all 3 machines and demonstrate threading/bobbin winding/etc without error, so I’m not wasting anyone’s time.

My end goal is to have ‘office hours’ on sewing days so we can get more people crafting at the space!

4 Likes

Thank you for being willing to teach and host office hours! @mreynolds

I’ll take the Thor, too, but I think y’all want that to be a whole class?
I’m reading its manual and watching videos for that, too. But I don’t have significant sewing experience on it like I do for the domestic machines.

Awesome!

Thanks for the interest Amelia. I don’t know really the first thing to checking you out on the machines, so i’ll tag @Print_Witch and @dryad2b and hopefully we can get you signed off and ready to go really soon!

Good luck with that!

I can sign you off on the Zests, and the Pfaff. Generally speaking, I’d prefer to do that in a class setting. While it sounds like you don’t need the class, that’s my preferred route. Would next Thursday at 7pm work for you? I might put the class on at 7:30 so that you can demonstrate proficiency beforehand.

Astrud (@Print_Witch) is the queen of the sergers. But, she rarely reads Talk – @Hardsuit usually lets her know what’s going on.

My current plan is to start up appropriate classes in June. April and May are pretty well hosed for me, so far as classes go. I’ve had a request for some classes, and I’ll definitely being running a Thor class then.

Are you getting much response from the DFW Sewing Group? I’ve held Office Hours within the last month, and I invited them, but nobody bothered to show up, or even inquire.

1 Like

@print_witch sez to just show you can thread up the Sergers and you’re GTG.

2 Likes

Gah, timing!
I’ll be out of town starting on Monday 3/27, through the next thursday 4/6. Otherwise I’d be going to the CA meeting next week.

Sounds like we might have to wait till june for classes, that’s ok.

RE: office hours-
I dunno if it’ll help get more members into the space. I certainly don’t want to duplicate effort or elbow in to anyone’s turf. My thought is if I can make it cleaner/nicer and share the skills I have through events /classes it might help membership. And I know graphic design (illustrator/photoshop/indesign), sewing, and lasers well enough to teach.

So I figure I should get certified to teach in those areas, and see what generates the most interest. I know we need a lot of people to do a lot of things, and just having more knowledgeable warm bodies at the space is part of it.

1 Like

No biggie. I could probably do the Thursday after you get back, 4/6 instead. This is more of a squeeze-in. The class string will be better in June, but I do have some limited time during the week for a class.

I noticed that your class is in Interactive. Granted, you’ve put it during tours, but you may need to monitor how the non-members are getting in, and back to that room.

1 Like

Ok, I firmed up my schedule and I’ll be back in dfw on 4/6, so if you are willing to do a class then, I’d be so grateful.

RE: Interactive- I planned to simply put a sign on the door with my cell if people needed to get in after noon.

2 Likes

I’ll put that on the calendar when I get back on Monday.

The sign on the door should work. Don’t forget that everyone that enters DMS needs to sign a waiver. Mind you, one waiver is good for ever.

1 Like