Sewing machine access

Hi there,
I was looking to use the sewing machines for some cosplay, and heard on the tour I need to get signed off to do so. Is there a class I need to take first?
Thanks!

I’ll let @dryad2b fill you in on the sewing machines requirements. But if you are into cosplay you’ll find DMS has waaaaay more to help along.

• Sewing, Serger, and CNC sewing machines … so go from costume quality to fashion garment/wardrobe
  • No wardrobe for daring and not so daring: Body painting and make-up
  • Leather working, including leather sewing machines … traditional to well, “fantasy” leather if so inclined, however you define it and enjoy it.
  • Prosthetics: Facial and otherwise: Creative Arts has body casting
  • Jewelry: what royalty, fae, fortune hunter does want some classy bling: Small Metals & Jewelry
  • Need it flash, glow, buzzer, twinkle, illuminate … go Electronics Committee
  • Need physical support structures for things that move: Machine Shop, Metal Shop, Wood Shop
  • Bubbles and quick adornments: 3d may be helpful.
  • Dye Sublimation printing for fabrics and other material.
  • Silk screening (you know your groupies will want to venerate you by wearing adoration shirts you make for them)
  • PR for yourself: Digital Media and aspiring artists in this realm looking for models to practice with.

There is a lot here at DMS and it’s place to do it. So your kitchen table and living room floor remains free.

4 Likes

So – do you need access to the basic machines? Or… And, do you already know how to sew and/or use other machines?

1 Like

Thank you so much, these all sound fantastic! What a treasure trove, gives me a few new ideas too!

1 Like

I just need access to the basic machines. I know how to sew already, but I’m used to my Singer at home, so unfortunately I don’t know sergers or more hardcore machines!

1 Like

I’m in the exact same situation.
I’ve used my Singer for years, and trying to use the brand they have at the 'Space was… interesting. I also have no experience with a serger, and hope to learn it at the DMS. For cosplay as well.

For simple check offs, and nuances, maybe 2pm this Sunday? 2/13?

My life just went extra special, so it’ll probably be April before I can set a class for the sergers. @Hardsuit ? Any chance of @Print_Witch running a class any time in the relatively near future? I know you put that one class on video. Is that saved anywhere?

Where is this magic hidden?

Should be in the sewing room: CNC Embroidery machine.

ah, embroidery machine. makes more sense

Be warned it makes a squeal heard from space. It probably has a worn bushing or belt slipping. It still runs though. The machine is on the shelf and the CNC platform is in the metal cabinet. You can use InkStitch plugin for Inkscape to digitize the files, I saved as PES files, load on a flash drive and load on the machine. I just watched a few youtube videos and figured it out, fairly easy.

Quick check-out for the regular machines Right Now (2pm 2/13) Only for those who already know how to sew.

She’s aware, will schedule something in next few weeks.

2 Likes